Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Danum Valley - July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post

LD 15. After looking hard at this I thought could this be actually an N. kurava variant as the FW submarginal spots are almost bandlike.
    After looking at the Philippine ssp which comes closest to that of Borneo , I feel it is correctly N. berenice.
    The inner margin is much more interrupted at the veins; spots 4 & 5 more pointy(peaked) at the middle ;HW postdiscal spot 6 not quadrate.
    The upperside can be seen as a dull pale lavender. (Violet blue in N. kurava male.).

The Philippine N. berenice. (Note the female berenice appeared to be a beroe female; I think it is wrongly placed.)
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ey4y-tknm/philframe.html

TL Seow

PS. Now, if only someone has a confirmed pic of N. normani.
    Thanks for the above (post 40).

You're in luck! Yesterday, I had a long chat with Stefan Schroeder, who is co-authoring a full review of Jamides, along with Tennent, Cassidy & Rawlings, and we discussed my recent trip (each year he spends part of the family holiday over here and we always meet up). He is also very interested in the Nacaduba and I mentioned N. normani, and he got rather excited (as it is rare, and is one of the few species for which he, personally, needs a specimen) before he remembered that I only took photos. He did mention, however, that N. normani is very small, compared to other species. This stuck in my mind, and I remember that it was not particularly small. It makes me doubt N. normani.

By the way, I asked whether any revisions in the paper involved species from Malaysia or Thailand, and he said not that he remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thanks for the above (post 40).

You're in luck! Yesterday, I had a long chat with Stefan Schroeder, who is co-authoring a full review of Jamides, along with Tennent, Cassidy & Rawlings, and we discussed my recent trip (each year he spends part of the family holiday over here and we always meet up). He is also very interested in the Nacaduba and I mentioned N. normani, and he got rather excited (as it is rare, and is one of the few species for which he, personally, needs a specimen) before he remembered that I only took photos. He did mention, however, that N. normani is very small, compared to other species. This stuck in my mind, and I remember that it was not particularly small. It makes me doubt N. normani.

By the way, I asked whether any revisions in the paper involved species from Malaysia or Thailand, and he said not that he remembered.

There are mentions of N. normani being a pest in Cocoa plantation (it feed on the young shoots) , so it cannot be rare away from the forest.
    If N. normani is very small then LD 16 is probably the Bornean representative of N. calauria although it is supposed to be ssp malayica.
    It is very similar except that the submarginal spots are rather large.

TL Seow

Antonio, I echo Seow's congrats on the Sithon micea.

I recall a Poritia species that you took. There are no official records of ANY Poritia from Danum (or any Poritinae for that matter, so the Simiskina shown earlier is important too), so positive identification would be very useful. I know it is worn, but can you post it here?

Post 44.

1. should be Poritia phama (?same as Hewitsoni ).
    FW postdiscal spots shallow V or flat lower down : spacing between bands create the illusion of 2 pale bands. HW upperside margin extended black.

P. erycinoides : FW postdiscal spots strongly V or arrowheads; single 'pale band' whiter ground.( Correction )

P. sumatrae : spots/bands evenly spaced; rich brown ground colour ;HW green extend higher up.

P. philota. : spots evenly spaced; greyish brown ground ; bands in space 1a & 1b curved, not V.

P. phormedon (endemic) strong series of black marginal spots on HW.
    Figures 16 & 17 below.
    http://www.archive.org/stream/procee.../n662/mode/1up

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 11-Aug-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: feature correction

Thank you. I had wondered about P. hewitsoni, but that was not listed for Borneo in funet. However I had forgotten that Poritia phama was synonymised with P. hewitsoni (Saito & Seiki, 2003). They state that, in their opinion, the differences quoted in the C&P4 keys are due to individual, seasonal and geographical variations, and that there were no other differences, either in superficial or genitalia features.

I'll need to decide how to list the species for the species compilation I am doing for Danum.

Beautiful Sithon micea. It's a rare Bornean endemic.
    I was eargerly anticipating this species to show up.
    Congrats, Antonio.))
    Aaron Soh

Thanks Aaron, and again thank you Seow for the always prompt identifications and the nice words for the S. micea

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you. I had wondered about P. hewitsoni, but that was not listed for Borneo in funet. However I had forgotten that Poritia phama was synonymised with P. hewitsoni (Saito & Seiki, 2003). They state that, in their opinion, the differences quoted in the C&P4 keys are due to individual, seasonal and geographical variations, and that there were no other differences, either in superficial or genitalia features.

I'll need to decide how to list the species for the species compilation I am doing for Danum.
    I think they are probably right.

It is one thing to split off subspecies into full species, but synonymising two established species as conspecific is a big deal.
    They must be thorough & very confident of their findings.

Another team have shown that Euthalia ipona falls as a synonym of E. phemius by DNA analysis.
    There is too little DNA difference between the two to even merit subspecific designation.

In peninsular Malaysia it appears only the ipona male is known, while both ipona & phemius females had been taken, so the record of 'E. phemius' is due solely to the presence of the female.

So it is Euthalia phemius phemius, & no more E. ipona or even E. phemius ipona.
    Probably ipona can be used as a form name. No mention of it though.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 10-Aug-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo error