Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Danum Valley - July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    I have old references for Borneo. It only shows two Dacalana species on the island, D. lowii and D. sannio. Has D. vidura now been found there? Unfortunately, I only had access to the Butterflies of Borneo at Danum, and then only for the Lycaenidae and Hesperiidae.

I'm updating the Research Centres records to include our finds on our visits in 2010 and 2013, D. vidura is currently not on their list.

Both Dacalana vidura & sinhara are also found throughout Sundaland.

TL Seow

PS. If I am not mistaken, D. sannio is now D. cremera sannio, & D. lowii is of course an endemic.
    Last edited by Psyche; 03-Aug-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: PS

Some of my pics

Sulphur?

Blue nawab

Mycalesis anapita

??

??

The Broad Striped Faun - Faunus kirata

Malay red harlequin?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Both Dacalana vidura & sinhara are also found throughout Sundaland.

TL Seow

PS. If I am not mistaken, D. sannio is now D. cremera sannio, & D. lowii is of course an endemic.
    Thank you. I was aware that D. sannio was in the cotys group, but one can only be sure of this group by seeing the upperside, no brand.
    D. vidura is then added to Danum species.

I seem to recall when I was studying the Lycaenidae volume that D. lowii has no hindwing stripe, a fact which I had forgotten earlier, is that right?

Yes, D. lowii have no white stripe beneath, whlie D. cremera have an orange bar above the black tornal lobe.

TL Seow

Post 22.

1. Dercas gobrias gobrias. The Sundanian forms are now all referable to D. gobrias.

3. I think this & earlier post are all Mycalesis patiana.
    Mycalesis anapita is a paler & yellower species & is more lightly to be mistaken for M. fusca.

About the only reliable difference is that the FW band above vein 4(corrected) is darker & may appear black in fresh individuals of patiana..

Mycalesis patiana from Malaya.
    http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com...n%20Negara.jpg

Mycalesis anapita from Sabah.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...yanBushBro.jpg

4. Erites argentina.
    E. argentina have a small spot in FW spce 3 (above the big spot) & the HW outer band in space 1b & 2 straight (to the inside of the big spot).

5. Allotinus horsfieldi female.
    HW postdiscal spot 6 under spot 7; buffy ground ,poor contrast; broad-based teeth.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 03-Aug-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: error correction

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Post 22.

3. I think this & earlier post are all Mycalesis patiana.
    Mycalesis anapita is a paler & yellower species & is more lightly to be mistaken for M. fusca.

About the only reliable difference is that the FW band above vein 3 is darker & may appear black in fresh individuals of patiana..
    Never forget the Bornean endemic, M. marginata! I saw both anapita, only once, and patiana, many times, there, but not marginata which we found at Maliau. As you say, undersides are nearly impossible when trying to id these species. I agree that M. patiana is most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Never forget the Bornean endemic, M. marginata! I saw both anapita, only once, and patiana, many times, there, but not marginata which we found at Maliau. As you say, undersides are nearly impossible when trying to id these species. I agree that M. patiana is most likely.

M. marginata have a very large HW submarginal spot 2, so it is manageable.
    M. fusca is dark brown in flight.
    Unfortunately the web is full of confusing images of the undersides of these species.

TL Seow

PS. Bornean ssp. Dacalana vidura azyada (type location Borneo!) & D. sinhara sinhara.
    Last edited by Psyche; 04-Aug-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: PS

Beginning to get to the troublesome ones!

LD11) Pareronia valeria lutescens (Malayan Wanderer). I was not going to bother showing this, but I noticed that in the Singapore checklist, there are no photos of a male upperside. Though this was taken in Borneo, it is the same ssp. as that found, occasionally, in Singapore.
    LD12) Papilio memnon memnon (Great Mormon) female. Anyone know the female form name? Sorry very worn specimen!
    LD 13 & 14) Two Charaxes undersides. I can not decide if they are both Charaxes bernadus repetitus.
    Attached Images Attached Images