Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danum Valley Moths

I see your point of view.

There are marked differences, the spotless thorax (although it is bald), the FW basal black streaks instead of spots, and the non-extension of the zigzag line to the FW dorsum.

However, the general pattern is so strongly similar it can only be in the same or closely allied genus.
    A check of the tribe Lymantrini shows no other genus other than that stated in Moths of Borneo. (Checked funet )
    None have a match not even the closest Psilochira.

I think all the images of I. munda on the web are males, so there is a possibility it is only a female I. munda.
    However, if the female is so different then Moths of Borneo would shown one since they have a specimen.

Could it be a mimetic species from another family ? I think this is rather remote.

TL Seow

Antonio, the Lyssa is L. menoetius (Uraniidae), not L. zampa. (see post 3). Although L. zampa is also found on Borneo, I am pretty certain that all the specimens we saw were of the Bornean endemic.

Moth 11 is Xyleutes strix (Cossidae)

I have not been able to id moths 9 or 12, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post

I have not been able to id moths 9 or 12, yet!
    Moth 12 was so similar to Hamodes pendleburyi Noctuidae, catocalinae, that I was surprised it did not rate a mention from you.
    A check revealed fine differences though.

However, a look on the first obscure subfamily of Geometridae provides the identity.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-9/...ominae_1_1.php

TL Seow