Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens By the Bay Butterfly Sightings

Quote Originally Posted by Billyoh1964 View Post
    Hi Loke, Thanks for the pointer. Actually I thought this shot was taken too far away and with poor angle. Didn't intent to post it but somehow wrongly attached it. Paiseh! Paiseh!
    Billy, it appeared to me that you were the only person who shot the Cycad Blue - a very artistic shot also (though I prefer a tighter crop).
    So you should post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    slightly. in fact, the common tit with messy background looks under too. did u change your metering setting, or was your flash working correctly?
    Arhhh! Thanks !

Yes I think that might be the problem , metering and flash , I switched to the 1D3 after the 1D4 and flash was having some problem.
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

After taking a second look at these two by Billy, I am more inclined to ID them as Gram Blue rather than Cycad Blue. What do you think? As they were shot in an upside down pose, first looks were a bit deceiving. I've rotated them for easier comparison.

GramBlue-BillyOh3.jpgGramBlue-BillyOh.jpg
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    After taking a second look at these two by Billy, I am more inclined to ID them as Gram Blue rather than Cycad Blue. What do you think? As they were shot in an upside down pose, first looks were a bit deceiving. I've rotated them for easier comparison.

GramBlue-BillyOh3.jpgGramBlue-BillyOh.jpg
    You are right, Khew.
    The inner margin (dorsum) of the HW has a black spot like in Anthene (Ciliate Blues).

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    You are right, Khew.
    The inner margin (dorsum) of the HW has a black spot like in Anthene (Ciliate Blues).
    Thanks for the confirmation, Seow.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

You are right, Khew.
    Thanks Khew and Dr Seow for the ID.

Loke and Frederic
    Thanks for the pointers. PP is one of my weakness. This is my feeble attempt to crop and increase the exposure, but the picture is not sharp. Didn't notice that there was another insect on the same plant...another weakness - not observant enough.IMG_6425-2w.jpg

On second look at the re-processed pic, I think it is still under exposed. Got to do better next time.

Thanks all for the guidance.

Regards

Billy

Post 18.

Telicota is the Common Palm Dart. T. colon.

TL Seow

Default ID features correction.

Actually The Cycad Blue also( usually ) have a black dot on the inner margin. (I happened to be looking at one which does not have one.)

The most reliable feature is that in the Cycad Blue, the postdiscal spot 7 (black) is right on top of spot 6(grey).
    In the Gram Blue the two spots are well apart; also the Gram Blue has more complete double orange rings.

TL Seow

Need help with ID - Is this Tajuria cippus maxentius (Peacock Royal)?IMG_6936-w.jpgIMG_6944-w.jpg