Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaeng Krachan National Park 2nd part

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    LD 14 Suada swerga : subapical one big one small; discal spots likewise ; pale mark in space 1b; bodyshape & wingshape.
    I think you have the size wrong here since appearance indicates moderate size.
    Thank you for the ids.

If it is Suada swega, then it was a very small specimen, it was considerably smaller than the Halpe. I had looked at that species but discounted it owing to the underside forewing apical area not being lightened. I showed the wrong photo, sorry. Here is another with more of the underside. Is Suada albolineata of a smaller size?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Antonio, post19, No. A24 is Appias indra thronion (Plain Puffin).
    A25's English name is Spotted Zebra. That was my mistake during the trip. (What I called the Common Zebra is actually the Lesser Zebra- the one that has paler bases on the underside hindwings).

Finally 2 shots of the Great one that we have been looking high n low for to complete my main Nawab collection.

Polyura eudamippus eudamippus (Great Nawab)

2nd stream

3rd stream
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Last few favorite shots.

Papilio paris paris (Paris Peacock)

Neorina crishna archaica (The Tailed Yellow Owl)

Glorious Begum + Great Nawab

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you for the ids.

If it is Suada swega, then it was a very small specimen, it was considerably smaller than the Halpe. I had looked at that species but discounted it owing to the underside forewing apical area not being lightened. I showed the wrong photo, sorry. Here is another with more of the underside. Is Suada albolineata of a smaller size?
    It is definitely Suada but whether it can be S. albolineata is impossible to tell.
    I think they are the same size.
    S .albolineata from Cambodia.
    http://www.rainbowlodgecambodia.com/...ineata%207.jpg
    http://www.rainbowlodgecambodia.com/...ineata%201.jpg
    From Thailand.
    http://multiply.com/mu/butterflylife...nmid=359191892
    S. swerga from India.
    http://www.flutters.org/home/photoga...l-apr-2011.jpg

TL Seow
    PS. I checked the size of S. swerga FW 14/16mm ; H. hauxwelli FW 15mm.
    So the male S. swerga is a bit smaller than H. hauxwelli.
    Last edited by Psyche; 20-Mar-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: PS

Thank you, Seow.

Now for the Lycaenidae (non-Arhopala):
    LD14) A small Theclini. I do not know if, without the full tail it can be identified. Smaller than a Common Tit, I thought, at first it was a Narrow Spark, but there is too much orange around the forewing apex. - Sinthusa nasaka amba.
    LD15)Sorry about the the shading, only shot I managed, no upper side which would have determined matters. I can not decide if this Loxura atymnus fuconius or L. cassiopeia. It is definitely not what I normally find on Samui. I suspect the latter. - Loxura cassiopeia.

The puddling Polyommatiinae were very difficult, and I think that only I bothered. Most were Acytoplepis lambi, which I ignored, but I managed to find in the melee some different ones:
    LD16) Think this is Celastrina lavendularis isabella, but would appreciate confirmation. - Confirmed.
    LD17) Probably you will not be able to id this from upperside only. It took off after this photo, and I lost track of it in the mass of blues flying around when trying to get an underside! - Celatoxia marginata splendens.
    LD18) Is this Petrelea dana? Never seen that species before. -Confirmed.
    LD19) Sun in wrong position, but hopefully enough can be seen to provide an id. - Celastrina lavendularis isabella.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 21-Mar-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you, Seow.

Now for the Lycaenidae (non-Arhopala):
    LD14) A small Theclini. I do not know if, without the full tail it can be identified. Smaller than a Common Tit, I thought, at first it was a Narrow Spark, but there is too much orange around the forewing apex.
    LD15)Sorry about the the shading, only shot I managed, no upper side which would have determined matters. I can not decide if this Loxura atymnus fuconius or L. cassiopeia. It is definitely not what I normally find on Samui. I suspect the latter.

The puddling Polyommatiinae were very difficult, and I think that only I bothered. Most were Acytoplepis lambi, which I ignored, but I managed to find in the melee some different ones:
    LD16) Think this is Celastrina lavendularis, but would appreciate confirmation.
    LD17) Probably you will not be able to id this from upperside only. It took off after this photo, and I lost track of it in the mass of blues flying around when trying to get an underside!
    LD18) Is this Petrelea dana? Never seen that species before.
    LD19) Sun in wrong position, but hopefully enough can be seen to provide an id.

LD14 This matches the female Sinthusa nasaka very well.

LD 15 Loxura cassiopeia male. Male harder to see ID mark, dot of postdiscal band in space 4 is close to submarginal spot; HW heavily-marked.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aMFUpUnAC1.jpg

LD 16. Celastrina lavendularis. darker ground ; correction note 2 spots at HW dorsum(lower margin) discount some (not all) Udara.

LD 17 This matched Celatoxia marginata. Malayan ssp splendens have reduced black border than example below. See C&P4.
    http://www.insect-fans.com/bbs/data/...19d005bd45.jpg

LD 18. Petrelea dana is right.

LD 19 . Another C. lavendularis. Somewhat resembles Acytolepis but HW base of space 7 no spot.

TL Seow

Last edited by Psyche; 20-Mar-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: incoorect statement

Thank you so much! I am so pleased I took time to look at those puddling blues. 3 new ones for me!

Only a few (3, I think) Arhopala left of the unidentified ones (for tomorrow), though I do have a few others left to post as well but I know those.

PS. Oops, sorry, Seow, but are 16 & 19 the same species? They look different, No. 19 has a cleaner ground colour and the marginal spots are larger, the other spots are darker.