Thread: A few butterflies

Default A few butterflies

A bunch of puddling Rajah Brooke's birdwing butterflies (Trogonoptera brookiana). Can you spot the two odd ones?

A female Sithon nedymond nedymond - The Plush.

Neorina lowii neophyta(Malayan Owl)?

Lesser Grass Blue (Zizina otis lampa)?

Koruthaialos sp.? skipper butterfly, Sabah.
    Kurt Flickr
    Macro Gear/Blog
    My Gear: 40D, Macro: MP-E65, MT-24EX, DIY diffuser, 580EXII; T17-50, Sigma 150

Zizinz otis is right.

The skipper is Korithaialos frena. a Bornean endemic, larger & with a broader orange band.

Those T. brookiana I supposed are from peninsular Malaysia (ssp. albescens), since the Bornean ssp. brookiana do not puddle in large numbers.

Familiarty has made us jaded to the beauty of this magnificent butterfly.
    There is a magical moment when you are standing on a vantage point overlooking a stream and a male approaches along the watercourse.
    As it emerges from the dark shadow of the forest, a flash of green fire ripples across its wings from wingtip to wingtip, engulfing the huge insect in a scintillating burst of flame.
    Awesome!
    And as it wheels past in an electric green shimmer, the jaws gape, the heart races!
    What a glorious and wonderful sight!

TL Seow
    PS. The 2 odd ones appeared to be ?P. helenus & P. memnon.

Thanks for the IDs, Dr. Seow! Yes, only the last one was from Sabah. The rest Peninsula.

Beautifully written

"Familiarty has made us jaded to the beauty of this magnificent butterfly.
    There is a magical moment when you are standing on a vantage point overlooking a stream and a male approaches along the watercourse.
    As it emerges from the dark shadow of the forest, a flash of green fire ripples across its wings from wingtip to wingtip, engulfing the huge insect in a scintillating burst of flame.
    Awesome!
    And as it wheels past in an electric green shimmer, the jaws gape, the heart races!
    What a glorious and wonderful sight!"
    Kurt Flickr
    Macro Gear/Blog
    My Gear: 40D, Macro: MP-E65, MT-24EX, DIY diffuser, 580EXII; T17-50, Sigma 150

My gracious, what a treasure trove!
    William B. Folsom