Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaeng Krachen NP, Thailand 8-13 March 2013

Nelson, thank for the Beaks. Please note that the L. myrrra ssp. is L. myrrha sanguinolis, the northern ssp. as opposed to L. myrrha hecura which is found in Malaysia. I just wish I had managed to get a decent shot of L. geoffroy alompra, which I saw a couple of times.

That is a great underside shot of the Chestnut Angle. Very difficult to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Nelson, thank for the Beaks. Please note that the L. myrrra ssp. is L. myrrha sanguinolis, the northern ssp. as opposed to L. myrrha hecura which is found in Malaysia. I just wish I had managed to get a decent shot of L. geoffroy alompra, which I saw a couple of times.

That is a great underside shot of the Chestnut Angle. Very difficult to obtain.
    Damn.. so when is the right time to visit Koh Samui ?

Post 16.

It looks correct for N. nata . Narrow cellstripe; spot 3 (small) well within submarginal spot ;underside FW lower submarginal spots not flattened.

Post 19.
    It is very confusing to ID the Crows from the undersides, But I think
    11 is E. modesta ;HW rounded spots; FW discal spot in space 2 (partly hidden) small.

12 is E. sylvester. ;Hw rounded spots;FW rounded; FW discal spots blue ,spot 2 large; lower FW submarginal spots.

TL Seow

Erites angularis angularis

Hypolycaena erylus (Common Tit)

Odontoptilum angulatum (Chestnut Angle)

Thanks Les, Seow in assisting to ID the butties.

15. Papilio paris paris (Paris Peacock)

16. Papilio polytes romulus (Comon Mormon)

17. Papilio nephalus chaon (Black and White Helen)

18. Papilio protenor Cramer (Spangle)

Last edited by bluefin; 17-Mar-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Begum View Post
    Damn.. so when is the right time to visit Koh Samui ?
    A very good question. It seems to differ every year! Now is supposed to be good, but it has been appaling recently. Incedentally, I do not have any Beaks here.

Beautiful shots as always, Nelson.

However, please note that No. 17 is Papilio nephalus chaon (Black and White Helen, also known as Yellow Helen). This subspecies is as the southernmost part of its range in Kaeng Krachan.

Seow, thanks for the Neptis nata confirmation.

LD 8 - Papilio prexaspes pitmani (Lesser Helen or Banded Mormon). This used to be a seperate species but was recently relegated to ssp. status.

LD 9 - My take on the upperside of Papilio paris paris (Paris Peacock). Not as good a photo as Nelson's (naturally), but it does show a bit more of the hindwing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Post 19.
    It is very confusing to ID the Crows from the undersides, But I think
    11 is E. modesta ;HW rounded spots; FW discal spot in space 2 (partly hidden) small.

12 is E. sylvester. ;Hw rounded spots;FW rounded; FW discal spots blue ,spot 2 large; lower FW submarginal spots.

TL Seow
    I am pretty sure that one of these was rather large. Euploea camaralzeman camaralzeman should not be discounted, the blue sheen was central, and not at the termen edges. It has been found in Petchaburi. The Malayan subspecies is very different. Mind you, I have difficulty with Euploea undersides as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    The Flat (No. 4) is, I think, Celaenorrhinus leucocera (Common Spotted Flat). There are several very similar species, but the hindwing yellow spots are obscure and there is a white costal spot above the cell spot. This species appears to be rare south of Bangkok, with very few reports.

There is a Graphium nomius in the photo, towards the top lefthand corner. I saw one too, but as you say, it is impossible to get a viable photo of a single specimen in a writhing mass of butterflies.
    I was using the Butterflies of Thailand book #1. And found out that why you guys called it Striped Swordtail instead of Chain Swordtail untill I flip the book 2. Haha..