Thread: Rare butterflies

Default Rare butterflies

I found this butterfly set at the thrift store. Any of these butterflies particularly rare? Is this a nice set?

Thanks
    Brandon

The labels looks wrong for most of the butterflies.... the big white one in the center is an obvious moth...
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Hi Brandon, I presume you're from Florida, USA, from the information on your account. No, this collection is not even worth what the price tag says. Perhaps the frame is worth more. Firstly, all the butterflies, and as Anthony pointed out, the big moth in the middle, are incorrectly named. This is the first time where I've seen a framed collection that's 100% wrongly named.

Then the condition of the butterflies are what a serious collector would have chucked out into the waste bin. They are also badly set and probably trash material that someone picked up and tried to fence it off to get some pocket money. So please don't be cheated into buying a practically useless collection.

If you are interested, there are many US-based websites and collectors that you can refer to for advice. Some of them do sustainable collecting and help to farm butterflies for sale and so on.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Thanks guys for the info. I live in Orlando but I bought this in Tampa (that was my first mistake). I figured it was worth something due to all the effort put into it, but you live and learn. Thanks again guys!

The price tag looks like 7.99, not 799, ain't that bad tho
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

yeah I paid 7.99 for it.

The butterflies are much faded, but here is what you have bought.
    Left to right. Top to bottom.

White-edged Blue Baron Euthalia phemius ........ Atlas Moth. Attacus atlas ...........Peacock Pansy.Junonia almana

Great Orange-tip Hebomoia glaucippe...........................................Lime Buttrfly Papilio demoleus.

Japanese Emperor Sasakia charonda....[.Blue Spotted Crow Euploea midamus ssp. from ?China].............Orange Albatross Appias nero.........Japanese Emperor. S. charonda.
    .................................................. .....Correction: Common Indian Crow Euploea core south China.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 09-Mar-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: ID correction

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncondor View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. I live in Orlando but I bought this in Tampa (that was my first mistake). I figured it was worth something due to all the effort put into it, but you live and learn. Thanks again guys!
    Oh well. I guess you could keep it. $7.99 isn't too much, even though that frame of butterflies won't have much investment value!

Glad to have you on board. Welcome to ButterflyCircle.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Hi Brandon

Stay with the forum and you will soon find that the knowledge you gather from here is something, shall I say, money cannot buy.
    Steven Neo
    Superstition is the offspring of coincidences.

Thanks for the info Psyche!