Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Butterflies of Phanom Bencha National Park and Mountain Resort

That's so amazing! Can't believe they can be so aggressive!! How do people keep them out of the house? Is there a way to do so? So interesting~!

You are spot on about the sounds! Well they chirped about 3 times only while I was awake. Perhaps Nelson had both of them chirp about 14 times on him while he was chasing them with his camera all night. HAHA
    Butterfly dogs don't like baths. They only like to puddle... in their own pee!

Using your lead for the Tokay gecko, I found a clip on youtube which is spot on the sound here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0gmHAG3cw

LOL! So it is a Tokay... I read that some people use Tobacco to make them drowsy and get rid of them. Some of the online sources said that if a Tokay bites you the only way to get it off is to submerge it in water and it'll have to let go to breathe! O_O

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly_effect View Post
    That's so amazing! Can't believe they can be so aggressive!! How do people keep them out of the house? Is there a way to do so? So interesting~!
    No, not aggressive as such, purely defensive (they also hiss with a very wide gaping mouth as a warning), unless I am an insect and they will eat almost anything! Kept out of the house by having mosquito netting on the windows and keeping outside doors shut!

Yeah they only bite when you grab them. I did that with a Smith's/Large Forest Gecko in Endau Rompin. It fell to the diner table (luckily between not in the dishes) while I was having dinner with the National Park Director and some other staff. I got two nice curved rows of pinpricks in my hand for the effort

Very nice write up and pics!

I would like to go there next time in Krabi, I have only been to Khao Nor Chuchi (which is also nice!).

I thought I remembered the Tokay as sounding a very loud TOKeh , TOKeh, TOKeh , which is how it got its name.

They are reputed to have medicinal properties, curing many things including Aids.
    Large live ones had been sold for several thousand Malaysian Ringgits each.

TL Seow

The plight of the Tokay Gecko.
    http://www.traffic.org/home/2011/11/...east-asia.html

TL Seow

My goodness... but there's a chance then we might start seeing them in other countries other than Thailand because these are very hardy creatures and there's always a chance of trafficked species escaping and becoming an invasive species.

The species is found naturally throughout eastern tropical Asia. I am surprised you do not appear to have it in Singapore! Despite the trade, it is a very common species, and is found living happily in cities such as central Bangkok.

Luckily I do not think it is very easy to overexploit to (local) eradication, it is fast, quite shy and much more often heard than seen .

Off cause if incentives (prices) are high enough anything is possible

So far I've not seen or heard the tokay here. It'd be interesting to see it, if it really is here!