Thread: Testing S180 + 1.4TC combo

Hybrid View

Default Testing S180 + 1.4TC combo

As I'd earlier mentioned regarding the inconsistent performance of the OS when in really close macro range (1:1), I took out my old Sigma 1.4x teleconvertor and attached it to the S180.

The combo was even more heavier and unbalanced, for one thing. But the longer working distance seems to get a slightly more consistent performance from the optical stabiliser.

Shot this relatively cooperative Dark Blue Jungle Glory under its usual low light environment. The effective focal length of the combo gives me a 250mm macro lens on full-frame format. I had to +0.3EV on the camera body to compensate for the reduction in light with the longer reach.

I opened the lens to almost its full aperture at f/5 and went to almost prone position on the ground with one elbow supporting the combo. The DOF, as can be expected, is paper thin and quite a lot of shots during the experiment went to the junk bin cos the eye was sharp, but the wingtips or hindwings were blur.

Looks promising. Need more field trials with small butts.

D600 : Sigma HSM 180mm with Sigma TC 1.4x : ISO 1600 : f/5 : 1/100s : +0.3EV on camera : fill-flashed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

A Wow shot !

May be bring a bean bag or attach a bi-pod like those machine gun, to stabilized the heavy stabilized lens ??
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    A Wow shot !

May be bring a bean bag or attach a bi-pod like those machine gun, to stabilized the heavy stabilized lens ??
    I didn't realise how heavy the S180 is, until I took out the T180 just now. Maybe after I build my arm muscles with the S180, then I can easily handhold the much lighter T180 in future!
    Khew SK

After going thru' the rest of the shots (and deleting most of them ), I realised that this fella has only 3 legs and there is something wrong with its right antenna (projecting out at a strange angle)
    Khew SK

1 degree 17' 25.34" N ; 103 degree 49' 17.14" E

Pretty good result on S180....
    Bobby Mun

Default Thanks Khew!

I think I need to physically get ahold of the S180 instead of simply buying it on-line. I like the idea of using your extender to get a little extra mileage, especially if it helps in the focusing process. Really enjoy readying your feelings about the equipment after each outing. William
    William B. Folsom