View Poll Results: Do we shut down BC Forums?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is no longer needed

0 0%
  • No, the forums are still useful

30 100.00%

Thread: Shutting down of BC Forums

Hybrid View

Default Shutting down of BC Forums

Some time towards the end of last year, I was toying with the idea of shutting down the BC forums. This is because there seems to be more activity in the BC FaceBook group, and fewer people posting here.

However, during my trip to Langkawi, Antonio made some valid points for the continuation of this forum. Firstly, the photos here are much bigger and more attractive to display BC members' work, when compared to FB, which cannot increase the size of the photos when viewed generally.

A more important point that I agree with Antonio, was the ability to search for past threads and keywords to find photos or discussions. In FB, the effect is one of "temporary display" and to search for a photo that someone posted is quite a difficult exercise. The organisation and search capability of VBulletin for past threads, posts and archives is of course much better.

FB on the other hand, has a wider audience and the more spontaneous "likes" from friends and friends of friends alike.

What do the others think? Do we shut down this BC forum or not?

I am currently paying about $600 per annum for the VB licence, domain name & website hosting. Not that I mind, but if the activity here doesn't justify the expenditure, then we may as well shut the forums down.

Your views are welcomed.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Have you thought of moving it to a cheaper & off shore host instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot View Post
    Have you thought of moving it to a cheaper & off shore host instead?
    Like I said.. I don't mind the expenditure. It's not the cost that's the issue.
    Khew SK

ok, then perhaps we take a different approach, the existence of FB is beyond control. if one fine day, someone decides to put the plug or rewrite their policy unfavorable to the user.. then what happens? We can't back up the data on FB and move else where. A platform such as FB is just too violatile.

Something like Instagram?

Ok, besides those that Antonio mentioned to me, you just added another point in favour of forums software vs FB.
    Khew SK

Yap agreed with both Antonio and Simon's point.

Basically facebook has the following limitations:

Unstructure or single thread in facebook

This makes things difficult to search. Holding a proper discussion is probably not a good idea as your post will quickly push down to oblivion.

Copyrights issues
    Well, today the photos or contents are yours but there is no guarantee the t&c won't change. Just look at Instagram saga. Besides, through years of discussions, BC has accumulated wealth of butterfly content and knowledge. This shouldn't go to waste.

Facebook content is not really search able from outside.
    If you want someone to reach you by google search, you need to have a homepage. Most company have a face in facebook for viral marketing and also as additional channel to reach out to wider audience.

And not all of us are on facebook.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, the score is 8-0 now.
    -Loke