Thread: Common Tiger + skipper ID.

Default Common Tiger + skipper ID.

Explored a lallang wasteland in the east and was treated to literally dozens of common tigers everywhere, form genutia and intermedius both present. have never seen so many of them before, especially when congregated on a single crotalaria plant. as many as 6-7 on a small plant, trying to imbibe whatever alkaloids they can.

also many skippers, but one that i'm not too sure of. is this Telicota colon?

Fantastic shots, Yi Kai. I like the 1st and 3rd shots.
    -Brian

My flickr

Yup. It is T. colon, with those oddly-shaped spot 4 & 5.

TL Seow

thanks brian and Dr. Seow.

Here's an open wing shot of the dart.

more tigers. tigers everywhere.

form genutia, at least 9 of them.

form intermedius, only 2.

so friendly!

on a side note, Dr. Seow, why are some of the tigers showing some white on the hindwing? i also notice some of them are not as orange for the normal ones. are there intermediate forms between the two distinct orange/white variants?

I am the wrong guy to be explaining this since my knowledge of genetics is rudimentary.

Generally named forms are well-defined varieties without intermediates.

Throughout its extensive range from India to Australia D. genutia have the hindwing orange but sometimes with a variable amount of white shading.

Form intermedius appeared to originate from Sundaland. A gene or supergene (a set of genes acting in concert as one & inherited together) probably confers the white patch on the hindwing.

Some of the shot individuals appeared to be intermediates because form-genutia itself is very variable.

It is easier to see when forms are drastically different. In Papilio polytes the presence or absence of a supergene determines whether the female is f-cyrus or f-polytes.
    It is all or none. There is no intermediate, unless there is a breakdown of the supergene or a gene in the set becomes translocated.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    I am the wrong guy to be explaining this since my knowledge of genetics is rudimentary.

Generally named forms are well-defined varieties without intermediates.

Throughout its extensive range from India to Australia D. genutia have the hindwing orange but sometimes with a variable amount of white shading.

Form intermedius appeared to originate from Sundaland. A gene or supergene (a set of genes acting in concert as one & inherited together) probably confers the white patch on the hindwing.

Some of the shot individuals appeared to be intermediates because form-genutia itself is very variable.

It is easier to see when forms are drastically different. In Papilio polytes the presence or absence of a supergene determines whether the female is f-cyrus or f-polytes.
    It is all or none. There is no intermediate, unless there is a breakdown of the supergene or a gene in the set becomes translocated.

TL Seow
    thanks Seow!

my knowledge of genetics is too, very limited, but well enough to understand what you posted. thanks again.

Nice shots, Lemon. Your photography is certainly improving significantly!
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Default Very crisp shots.

I enjoyed your shots. Glad you are posting. Keep improving! The BC is a source of great encouragement. William
    William B. Folsom