Thread: Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Default Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

I've finally walked on Aussie ground and I must say I loved every bit of it.

On the 11th I flew off with my family to Adelaide to celebrate my sister's completion of the O' Levels. We've got cousins living there and they were really happy to have us over. We stayed for four days in the city, then took a ferry to the amazing Kangaroo Island and stayed for another three days - Quite a lot like Brian's earlier vacation, by coincidence of course.

I really could go on and on about all the things I saw and did. I promised Uncle Khew more nature shots, so here they are. I'll jolly on with the butterflies first. There were many butterflies flying around in the plains but most of them were of the same few species.

Australian Painted Lady

I absolutely loved these. They were common everywhere.

Australian Painted Lady by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Australian Painted Lady by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Cabbage White

I'm not sure which 'cabbage white' this one is but the whites were numerous as well.

Cabbage White by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Cabbage White by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Common Brown

Gorgeous butterflies. I hope I have the correct ID, for I was shocked to find out how many similar species there were. This family is endemic to Australia I believe. They were common but so much more lovely than our browns.

Common Brown by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Monarch Butterfly

This is probably the first butterfly I learned about when I was a little kid. It's size caught me by surprise - it's quite a bit larger than our Common Tigers.

Monarch by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

Common Grass Blue

Everywhere and very similar to our species.

Common Grass Blue by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr

That's all for butterflies. I'll get round to the feathered friends soon. Australia was just like a huge bird park!!
    Last edited by Banded Yeoman; 22-Dec-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    cheers
    Jonathan

Wonderful shots Jon!! Seems like summer's better for the butts. I saw no butterflies during my trip. :(
    -Brian

My flickr

Brian, that was a fast reply!!

The number of butterflies could not compare with Singapore's.
    I did notice that there weren't any butterfly shots from your trip. I didn't realise you did not see any at all!
    cheers
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Banded Yeoman View Post
    Brian, that was a fast reply!!

The number of butterflies could not compare with Singapore's.
    I did notice that there weren't any butterfly shots from your trip. I didn't realise you did not see any at all!
    I was looking at the new posts page, and the title appeared, and I clicked it immediately. :P Australia's really a great place, especially Kangaroo Island.

Where did you stay? Kingscote or in the middle of the wilderness?
    -Brian

My flickr