Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Costa Rica, August 2012

Beautiful photos, David. I am very envious. I can not wait to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by moloch View Post
    Aaron

That is impressive! Thanks very much for the identifications. Are you using De Vries' book or have other sources?

Regards,
    You're welcome. Lycaenids are always a pleasure to identify

I'm using d ' Abrera (1995); his figures are very clear although his classification is not updated.
    Aaron Soh

I want Clearwing too!
    Any puddling butterfly shots? I think it will be spectacular seeing hundred and thousand of them congregate together.
    -Loke

Thanks, Les and Loke.

Loke,
    I did not see any puddling butterflies at all probably because it was so wet everywhere. I emailed Adrian Hoskins (learnaboutbutterflies website) who has visited Central America a number of years back. He found that puddling was the most frequent in the dry months. I think that he had the best results on the Pacific slope which is a little drier than the Caribbean side of the mountains.

Aaron,
    You would probably be a little disappointed with the Lycaenid diversity in Costa Rica. I saw very few species, hardly anything when compared to the incredible variety that you have in Singapore and Malaysia.

Regards,
    David
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

David, amazing location, wonderful nature and impeccable pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch View Post
    Aaron,
    You would probably be a little disappointed with the Lycaenid diversity in Costa Rica. I saw very few species, hardly anything when compared to the incredible variety that you have in Singapore and Malaysia.

Regards,
    David
    I kinda expected very few actually. D' Abrera describes lycaenids of the Neotropics as being very elusive and only at their maximum activity under scorching sun, even though lycaenids of the Neotropics far outnumber those in the entire Oriental region.

They just are very shy.
    Aaron Soh

Euselasia is E. cheles and Arawacus is A. togarna
    Aaron Soh

Wow ! What a wonderful trip there. Thanks you so much for sharing it. Now you make me want to go there now. Haiz !

Thanks very much, guys.

Aaron,
    I did not find Costa Rica to be as hot or as humid as what I experience when walking at Taman Negara. Maybe it was just the time of the year. Thanks again for the identifications.

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Here are a couple of additional shots by Ted. The first is a Caiman that was resting on the muddy bank of Rio Sarapiqui. The second was another shot of those huge Green Iguanas.

RARA AVIS

I will continue next with photos of Rara Avia, a magical place located at about 700m elevation on the same watershed as La Selva. It is situated on the boundary of Braulio Carillo NP, a huge preserve that is not open to the public. Rara Avis is located next to one of the few trail heads into this pristine national park.

This area was extremely wet with a high annual rainfall. Because of this, branches and tree trunks were totally covered with epiphytes. Trails were also difficult and I sometimes sank knee deep in mud. This wet forest was home to a number of localized birds and I hoped to add a few of these that I missed back in 1980. On this trip, I did see a single Purplish-backed Quail-Dove, many Emerald Tanagers and a few Ashy-headed Tanagers but birds like the Yellow-eared Toucanet, Bare-necked Umbrellabird, Blue-and-Gold Tanager and Black-headed Antthrush continued to elude me.

The journey to Rara Avis commenced from this small office in the village of Horquetas.

A four-wheel drive tractor ride was necessary to reach the lodge. The road was not bad at first but was absolutely shocking for the last few kms. I did not realize that a tractor could tackle such conditions. We had to hang on continuously and there was little chance to birdwatch or to take photos. Our driver did stop once to point out a King Vulture that was circling high overhead. Ted later saw another at low level at the bridge next to the lodge.

The road crossed farms at lower levels but higher up there were more extensive patches of forest.

We spent five nights at Rara Avis. The first night was in a cabin that was situated a few hundred meters up a trail from the headquarters in a secluded patch of forest. It was a lovely place with the sound of the Sarapiqui River roaring in the background. We shared the cabin with big native rats that chewed on the walls during the night. More concerning to me was awakening with a Blood-sucking Conenose (big reduviid) on an adjacent window screen. These can be vectors of Chagas Disease so I am never pleased to sleep with them.

David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia