Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
However i'm especially keen on going to the Trans-Andean countries(Colombia, Ecuador, Peru etc.) because they have many unique species there but my parents say that it's dangerous coz of the guerilla activity/drugs, even though i think it's totally worth the risk.
Actually, Colombia is beginning to open up and there is much better political stability and good governance. On the business front, there are quite a number of networks open already, and just this week, three of my staff are over at Bogota to give talks and discuss potential projects over there.

A lot of the negatives are often created by our media. Like in the early 2000's when I had to go to Yangon a few times to handle the Singapore Embassy, a lot of people kept asking me whether it was safe or not, as Myanmar was portrayed as a war-torn country with guerillas crawling out from every nook and corner. Having visited and seen Yangon several times for myself back then, I realised that bad press often makes a country sound worse than it really is!

Anyway, when you go out and work after you finish your studies, you will find that Singapore is getting too small and competitive to "make a living", and you will most probably have to travel quite a bit, depending on which field you are in.