Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with ID please

Default Help with ID please

Hi, need help with some ID.

Is this A. athada?

what about this? It's very small...for an Arhopala. Maybe dwarf? Mistook it for a Rapala at first.

thanks!
    Last edited by MinuteMaid; 01-Aug-2012 at 11:17 PM.

one more for ID, thanks

You certainly have a couple of interesting Arhopalas that adds to the confusion,

1. have all the features of A. sublustris except that spot 6 on the hindwing ( the one that is astride the 2 others below it) is not quite the usual shape for this species.
    If this individual is about the size of A. major it is A. sublustris.
    If it is much larger,(1 & a half or more ) than it is A. athada.
    See discussion here.
    http://www.butterflycircle.com/forum...ad.php?t=12887

2 is a member of the similar group (cleander group , subgroup alea).
    Spot 6 on the hindwing is quadrate; the forewing postdiscal band's topmost spot is not shifted inwards as in 1.
    This indicates this should be A. normani.
    A. normani is usually only a little bit smaller than sublustris.
    Compare sizes, C&P4 plate 51/39 A. sublustris & Pl 51/41 A. normani.
    ( C&P4 corrigenda indicates typo error & fig 43 is A. phanda not A normani.)

The crow is a female Malayan Crow Euploea camaralzeman.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    You certainly have a couple of interesting Arhopalas that adds to the confusion,

1. have all the features of A. sublustris except that spot 6 on the hindwing ( the one that is astride the 2 others below it) is not quite the usual shape for this species.
    If this individual is about the size of A. major it is A. sublustris.
    If it is much larger,(1 & a half or more ) than it is A. athada.
    See discussion here.
    http://www.butterflycircle.com/forum...ad.php?t=12887

2 is a member of the similar group (cleander group , subgroup alea).
    Spot 6 on the hindwing is quadrate; the forewing postdiscal band's topmost spot is not shifted inwards as in 1.
    This indicates this should be A. normani.
    A. normani is usually only a little bit smaller than sublustris.
    Compare sizes, C&P4 plate 51/39 A. sublustris & Pl 51/41 A. normani.
    ( C&P4 corrigenda indicates typo error & fig 43 is A. phanda not A normani.)

The crow is a female Malayan Crow Euploea camaralzeman.

TL Seow
    Thank you very much Seow, appreciate your help very much.

I have a whole bunch of Arhopalas that I can never ID and always just dump them as A. athada if it looks similar. for Arhopala #1, it is slightly smaller than athada (if i ID-ed athada correctly in the first place; see below). Arhopala #2 is smaller than #1 indeed. thanks for the ID on the Euploea as well. Can you know which subspecies this is based on the markings?

Is this A. athada then?

Quote Originally Posted by MinuteMaid View Post
    Thank you very much Seow, appreciate your help very much.

I have a whole bunch of Arhopalas that I can never ID and always just dump them as A. athada if it looks similar. for Arhopala #1, it is slightly smaller than athada (if i ID-ed athada correctly in the first place; see below). Arhopala #2 is smaller than #1 indeed. thanks for the ID on the Euploea as well. Can you know which subspecies this is based on the markings?

Is this A. athada then?

Yes. You have a typical Arhopala athada.
    I guess 1 is A. sublustris which according to C&P4 is common in Singapore.
    As for the Malayan Crow. Not sure if it is the local subspecies malayica which the male had recently been redicovered in Singapore.
    The spots are a bit reduced and small for ssp. malayica, but this could be just normal variation.

TL Seow

Yes. You have a typical Arhopala athada.
    I guess 1 is A. sublustris which according to C&P4 is common in Singapore.
    As for the Malayan Crow. Not sure if it is the local subspecies malayica which the male had recently been redicovered in Singapore.
    The spots are a bit reduced and small for ssp. malayica, but this could be just normal variation.

TL Seow
    thanks for the ID!

I asked about the crow because this wasn't shot in the wild. I shot this in the butterfly aviary in Sentosa last year, but chucked it into the Un-ID files. Since i'm digging some of it out now, i thought i'd post it just to ask.

There's another ssp for this crow, paraclaudina. i don't know if this is malayica or the former since it wasn't shot in the wild. but thanks for ID-ing, at least i know what species it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by MinuteMaid View Post
    thanks for the ID!

I asked about the crow because this wasn't shot in the wild. I shot this in the butterfly aviary in Sentosa last year, but chucked it into the Un-ID files. Since i'm digging some of it out now, i thought i'd post it just to ask.

There's another ssp for this crow, paraclaudina. i don't know if this is malayica or the former since it wasn't shot in the wild. but thanks for ID-ing, at least i know what species it is now.
    Subspecies paraclaudina is only found in Langkawi & occassionally in the mountains of peninsular Malaysia.

TL Seow

Subspecies paraclaudina is only found in Langkawi & occassionally in the mountains of peninsular Malaysia.

TL Seow
    thanks for the info!
    Last edited by MinuteMaid; 02-Aug-2012 at 01:30 AM.

I did a check on the underside of 1, & both C&P4's plate 67/10 and Fleming (Butterflies of West Malaysia & Singapore) 's L211B shows examples of A. sublustris which have spot 6 on the hindwing broader as in this individual, so this is considered normal as well.

As for 2, a 2nd possibility is A. phanda, another smallish species, though the description of the shape of hindwing spot 6 with its outer edge convex, and the presence of a costal spot in space 10 on the forewing point to this being A. normani.

Note both species are new to the Checklist, and require vouchered specimens for proper verification.

TL Seow

I did a check on the underside of 1, & both C&P4's plate 67/10 and Fleming (Butterflies of West Malaysia & Singapore) 's L211B shows examples of A. sublustris which have spot 6 on the hindwing broader as in this individual, so this is considered normal as well.

As for 2, a 2nd possibility is A. phanda, another smallish species, though the description of the shape of hindwing spot 6 with its outer edge convex, and the presence of a costal spot in space 10 on the forewing point to this being A. normani.

Note both species are new to the Checklist, and require vouchered specimens for proper verification.

TL Seow
    Thanks again v much Seow.

Here's another un-id Arhopala and a Jamides. is it J. pura?

Last edited by MinuteMaid; 02-Aug-2012 at 11:24 PM.