Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: August 2012 Fraser's Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Here are two sequence shots just as the Tawny Rajah that I was shooting took off. Doesn't help much I suppose.
    Thanks Khew, it does proved beyond any doubt the one with the steely grey underside is C. bernardus crepax.

TL Seow

Just to add to the confusion, I have this one shot at the Penang Butterfly Farm back in 2009. They were breeding C. bernardus, and there were quite a few on the rotting bananas on the feeding shelves. Other that the submarginal white band, the colour is more brownish than those we shot at Frasers recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, I have this one shot at the Penang Butterfly Farm back in 2009. They were breeding C. bernardus, and there were quite a few on the rotting bananas on the feeding shelves. Other that the submarginal white band, the colour is more brownish than those we shot at Frasers recently.
    The problem is there is a lot of confusion with the ID of with these brown Rajahs on the web.
    Thankfully your shot shows the upper part of the costal margin to the apex, and the tawny orange almost to the tip showed it is not C. bernardus.

A lot of butterfly farms take their stock from other established farms throughtout the world creating a lot of confusion & headache.

TL Seow

What a fantasitc trip you guys had! As usual, you have excellent shots of many species. The Lethe looked very interesting and I don't recall seeing photos of this one before. Someday, I hope to go along on one of these trips to Fraser's Hill and meet the other BC members.

I did not see a response to the eagle identification but on first glance, it looked like a Changeable Hawk-Eagle to me. I don't have my field guides here to confirm the id.

Tonight, I fly to Costa Rica so hopefully will have some exotic shots to post before too long. It will be the wet season so will not be ideal conditions for butterflies. Hopefully, there will be a few that are active. Should be good, though, for amphibians and reptiles.

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Forgot to post this last one after a bit of PS'ing. Loke will remember that I had to get down real low on the ground to shoot this fella perched on the leaf.

Branded Yamfly (Yasoda pita dohertyi)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Yes, I remembered. It was a very awkward shooting position. It will make it to one of the top ten shooting postures if a sniper was around
    The butterfly soon took off after that
    -Loke