Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Cyrestis strigata strigata

Caleta caleta.

Last edited by bluefin; 26-May-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    5. Male Elymnias hicetas hicetas (North and central Sulawesi). (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003; Butterflies of the Oriental Region Part II - B. D'Abrera, 1985).

Teo T P
    Thank you for the confirmations, particularly the Elymnias, which I though likely to be too bad to get an ID.

I do have a query concernng the Elymnias subspecies. According to VW &dJ, ssp. hicetas is found in Southern Sulawesi, whereas as ssp. rarior is that found in the north. The page split (pp 174/175) for the latter ssp. causes some confusion.

Nelson, the Cyrestis species is, I beleive Cyrestis strigata strigata. I originally had it as C. acilia, to which C. strigata is very closely related, until I realised, after getting a copy of VW & dJ's paper, that that species is not foud in Sulawesi!

My final odds and sods from Bogani Nani NP, before moving on to Kali Waterfall, nr. Manado.

1&2) There are too many Hypolimnas sp. on Sulawesi for me to be 100% posivie of this ones ID. UPDATE - H. bolina bolina
    3) Normally, I would immediately say Zizina otis, but I think that there may be others with similar markings, eg. Bothrina, Pseudobothrina sp. UPDATE - Z. otis ssp.
    4) Mycalesis sp. My brain shuts down when it comes to this genus!
    5) I originally thought this was Eurema nicevillei. However, on return home, I discovered that that species is not on Sulawesi. UPDATE - E. alitha alitha

I will start a separate thread for the Hesperiidae, as that could become quite messy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 30-May-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I'm pretty sure that the lascar is Pantoporia antara
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin View Post

Caleta caleta.

1. & 2. Cyrestis strigata strigata. C. strigata is recognised as a seperate species from Sulawesi by Vane-Wright & R. de Jong (2003) , but Holloway (1973) and D''Abrera (1985) considered as a subsp. of C. acilia.
    (Note: Beautiful picture clearly figured the wing pattern of C. strigata, Nelson).

3. As id.

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you for the confirmations, particularly the Elymnias, which I though likely to be too bad to get an ID.

I do have a query concernng the Elymnias subspecies. According to VW &dJ, ssp. hicetas is found in Southern Sulawesi, whereas as ssp. rarior is that found in the north. The page split (pp 174/175) for the latter ssp. causes some confusion.
    You are right Les. E. h. rarior (Range from north and central Sulawesi) and E. h. hicetas (South Sulawesi). I amended my mistake.

Teo T P

Re Post 60:
    1) I'll stick my neck out on this, possibly Junonia erigone. I know that VW&dJ state not found in N. Sulawesi, but I am positive one of us, not me, has an upperside shot of this species.
    2) Tagiades trebellius trebellius
    3) Leptotes plinius plutarchus
    4) Rhinopalpa polynice megalonice
    5) Doleschallia polibete celebensis. A much nicer underside than mine!
    6) Aaron, I don't think it is the only Pantoporia sp. on Sulawesi. The upperside forewing looks different to that pictured on Plate 12, No.6.
    7) Plastingia tessellata tessellata

Thanks to all for sharing the unique butterflies of Northern Sulawesi. Did any of you have the chance to see the tailed male Papilio memnon? I was in Manado for a holiday a couple of years back and visited the Tangkoko Batuangus Natural Reserve to see the Tarsier. At the park entrance, I saw a male (tailed) and then a female Papilio memnon. In the short few minutes while waiting for the guide ranger, I saw the female laying eggs on a citrus tree (looks like pomelo). One of the eggs was low enough for me to pick and I brought it back. It hatched and I fed it with pomelo leaves but unfortunately, it perished when it reached the 4th/5th instar .
    Last edited by Grass Demon; 24-May-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Steven Neo
    Superstition is the offspring of coincidences.

1 degree 17' 25.34" N ; 103 degree 49' 17.14" E

Wow! Beautiful shots!!!
    Bobby Mun