Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

1 degree 17' 25.34" N ; 103 degree 49' 17.14" E

Wow! Looks like you guys had a productive trip... can't wait to see more pics!
    Bobby Mun

The kohinoor is probably the related sp Amathuxidia plateni
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post

The Orange Albatross

The Green Dragontail

Dragontail Peeing?

Appias nero or Appias zarinda ?
    Wow, solid shot of that Dragontail!
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard Lacewing View Post
    Wow! Looks like you guys had a productive trip:
    Actually No! This was a very disappointing trip. Never, ever, use a tour agency, unless they understand your requirements. It became perfectly clear early on that the tour operator had no idea of what we wanted. They wanted us to be birders, or normal tourists.

But, then again, they have never had to deal with entomologists.

A few from me.

[QUOTE=Angiud;113153]Few shots from the first day, at Bogani Nani (Wartabone) National Park, in the forest:

Kohinoor

Amathuxidia plateni (Staudinger, 1887). Common name: Platen's Kohinoor. Four subspecies recorded from Sulawesi: plateni (N. Sulawesi), iamos (Central & south Sulawesi), pelengensis (Kepulauan Banggai, Peleng) and suprema (Kep. Sula -Mangole, Sanana).

Faunis cfr. menado

You are right Antonio. Faunis menado (Hewitson, 1865). Nine subspecies reported but subsp. menado from north Sulawesi.

UnID Satyrinae

Tentatively id as Lohora (Lohora) ophthalimicus (Westwood, 1888). Range: North and eastern Sulawesi. Lohora spp. show very little differentiation in their genitalia or alar (androconial) organs, and identification of certain species presents difficulties (Vane-Wright & H. Fermon, 2003).

Refs.: Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003; D'Abrera, 1985; Vane-Wright & H. Fermon, 2003.

Teo T P

[QUOTE=teotp;113181]
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post

Tentatively id as Lohora (Lohora) ophthalimicus (Westwood, 1888). Range: North and eastern Sulawesi. Lohora spp. show very little differentiation in their genitalia or alar (androconial) organs, and identification of certain species presents difficulties (Vane-Wright & H. Fermon, 2003).

Refs.: Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003; D'Abrera, 1985; Vane-Wright & H. Fermon, 2003.

Teo T P
    I have other photos which, I suspect, are the same species, but there are some significant differences. I am still working through my photos, so it will take a couple of days. The differences relate to the shape of the submarginal stripe on the hindwing.

I also know that Antonio has another photo of a similar specimen, but with additional spots on the hindwing. We are working, not completely in the dark, but in a completely new area for those of us with only experience of Sundaland, so we must not rush into species identification.

Sorry, but I am very wary of jumping to quick conclusions, which I, personally, have done far too often in the past, and learnt my lesson.

Are these male and female Faunis menado? The white forewing stripe is interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Painted Jezebel;113182]
    Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post

I have other photos which, I suspect, are the same species, but there are some significant differences. I am still working through my photos, so it will take a couple of days. The differences relate to the shape of the submarginal stripe on the hindwing.

I also know that Antonio has another photo of a similar specimen, but with additional spots on the hindwing. We are working, not completely in the dark, but in a completely new area for those of us with only experience of Sundaland, so we must not rush into species identification.

Sorry, but I am very wary of jumping to quick conclusions, which I, personally, have done far too often in the past, and learnt my lesson.
    Agreed. I have to do it slowly because so many books and literatures (text with keys for upperside/underside of species/subspecies) have to go through them carefully (e.g. a recent review paper of subgenus Appias (Catophaga) which kindly sent by Prof. Vane-Wright of NH Museum is more than 100 pages. So id of Appias nero subspecies from Sulawesi will take some time and I will make mistakes too).

Teo T P