Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    I can't see them either.

VW&dJ gives J. aratus lunata from Sulawesi.
    Yes, I noticed it from VW & de J. Thanks Les.

DÁbrera illustrated the O. medus with only two and 3 ocelli on undersides of forewing and hindwing respectively.

Teo T P

(Additional note: Tornal ocellus is not the mean key for seperating the genera Mycalesis and Orsotriaena (C&P 4 page 118) and this is one reason why I don't want to id it.)
    Last edited by teotp; 27-May-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    I cann't see the images of O. jopas and O. medus posted.

J. fractilinea has a bluish tinge (underside), larger and is from Sulawesi but J. aratus without any bluish, smaller as illustrated by D''Abrera and distributions are Malay Peninsula, Java, Sumatra, Borneo and Palawan (but 'DÁbrera have not indicated it is from Sulawesi). The forewing uppersides of males (the forewing marginal black stripe extended to the apex for J. fractilinea and without a submarginal faint black stripe) and females have more different features.

Teo T P
    Strange! The links work fine on my side.
    Anyway there is an underside of a male O. jopas with the VW-DJ article at plate 10 fig 8. It has more smaller spots.

When Aaron ID'ed the Jamides tentatively as J. aratus, I did not realised there is another almost identical species.
    Alan Cassidy an entomologist with Project Wallace to Sulawesi had posted images of both species.
    J. fractilinea.
    http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...eaMUpUnAC1.jpg

J. aratus lunata.
    http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...aMFUpUnAC1.jpg

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Anyway there is an underside of a male O. jopas with the VW-DJ article at plate 10 fig 8. It has more smaller spots.

When Aaron ID'ed the Jamides tentatively as J. aratus, I did not realised there is another almost identical species.
    Alan Cassidy an entomologist with Project Wallace to Sulawesi had posted images of both species.
    J. fractilinea.

J. aratus lunata.

TL Seow
    Thanks Seow for pointing me to the Pl. 10 fig. 8 in VW & deJ. Submarginal ocelli varies between individuals within species/subspecies are very common for butterflies. Numerous research papers on the subject were published.

Yes, Alan C. Cassidy is one of the contributor of "Butterflies of Sulawesi" and he also worked with Brunei butterflies. Without the illustration of both J. fractilinea and J. aratus figured side by side by D'Abrera I will have to take a longer time to seperate them. (at least I can compare the size).

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post

J. fractilinea.

J. aratus lunata.

TL Seow
    Malaysia has a better net work, Singapore too busy?

Another strange thing is A. C. Cassidy's J. fractilinea (male) show a faint submarginal band (running from space 4 on upperside forewing to the dorsum) beside the dark termen marginal border and J. aratus (male, collected by John Tennent) not, just the reverse for D''Abrera's illustrations. But J. fractilinea is larger and darker blue is the same.

Teo T P

Dear Seow, Teo,

Please do not over exercise your considerable brain cells on my behalf regarding the Satyrid in Post #64. My shot is too bad, for it to warrant such hard work!

Regarding the Jamides sp. (post #113, last pic), I have checked my 3 photos of the species to see if I had anything extra that may help, but, no, Nelson's shot is by the far best and most revealling, we did not manage an upperside shot. I can not really give any indication of size. It did not appear overly large or small, just an average sized Jamides sp. I have, consequently, labelled the species file with both possibilities for the time being.

Re post 113 - So the two Cyrestis specimens are different, Hooray!!! Thank you.

I think that, apart from my notorious post #64 Satyrid, we are up to date with IDs, so I can start posting again!
    This is to compensate one of the photo you neglected: Either Eurema blanda norbana or E. tomina tomina.

RE: # 118.

1. & 2. Pareronia tritaea tritaea (male).
    3. & 4. Pareronia tritaea tritaea (female).
    5. & 6. Papilio ascalaphus ascalaphus.
    7. & 8. As id.

I typed out the names because you neglected all the "a"s.

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    I typed out the names because you neglected all the "a"s.

Teo T P
    Oops! Thnk you. I obviously hve something ginst tht letter! Duly corrected.

Ops! Les looks like you need a new keyboard or alternately try strip the keyboard to clean the contact on letter " a ".

Oops! Thnk you. I obviously hve something ginst tht letter! Duly corrected.
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post
    Few shots from the first day, at Bogani Nani (Wartabone) National Park, in the forest:

UnID Satyrinae
    RE: # 20.

Note: Identification of all Lohora species were mainly based on publication of Vane-Wright & Heleen Fermon (2003). Taxonomy and identification of Lohora Moore (Lepidoptera: Satyrinae). the Sulawesi bush browns. Invertebrate Systematics vol.17: 129-141.

3. Lohora ophthalimicus (male).

Teo T P

Relating to posts 27 & 28, here are two specimens, which may be the same species. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, c.200m, the second was in Minahasa Highlands ar c. 1000m. Notice the difference in the inner submarginal line on the hindwing.
    RE: #44.

Lohora ophthalimicus: 1. male and 2. female. (Refs. Invertebrate Systematics 17: 129-141, 2003; D'Abrera Butts. of Oriental Region II, page 449, 1985).

Teo T P