Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Awesome shot of this pristine Nawab. Definitely not a species found in West Malaysia!
    Just arrived back. I'll be very suprised if anything we found is in West Malaysia. We may, very occasionally, have the same species, but the subspecies is likely to be different.

It will take a long time to get everything correct, if we ever do! I suspect I will have a large number of undentified specimens at the end of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Begum View Post
    Not sure what is this. Looks like The Quaker ?

Pithecops phoenix (Rober, 1886). Common name: Sulawesi Quaker. Takanami (1989) considers moeros from northern Sulawesi to be a good subspecies of P. phoenix (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003).

Teo T P

(reason for editing: Wrong ID)
    Last edited by teotp; 21-May-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Just arrived back. I'll be very suprised if anything we found is in West Malaysia. We may, very occasionally, have the same species, but the subspecies is likely to be different.

It will take a long time to get everything correct, if we ever do! I suspect I will have a large number of undentified specimens at the end of this thread.
    Sounds like u had a productive trip Can't wait to see the lycaenids~
    Aaron Soh

Thanks, Teo. We, or at least I, came across two similar species. This one was small, of the correct size when compared to West Malaysian species. The other, yet to be shown, please give us time, was much larger, and looks like a large Pithecops sp.

Wah, I cant wait to see more shots from the trip.
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thanks, Teo. We, or at least I, came across two similar species. This one was small, of the correct size when compared to West Malaysian species. The other, yet to be shown, please give us time, was much larger, and looks like a large Pithecops sp.
    Sorry Les, I overlook and it should be Pithecops phoenix. There are two black dots near the costal margin on forewing underside. All IDs were mainly consulted the publication: "The Butterflies of Sulawesi" edited by R. I. Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003.

Wow, guys, what a great start. The place looks gorgeous and that Nawab was superb! Looking forward to more, lots more!

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Finally masnaged to work on the first day's photos.

Attached is, what I think, may be a different species. It was larger than the specimens am used to seeing. - UPDATE - Pithecops phoenix meoros

Aaron, you will have a long wait for the Lycanidae! They were very much notable for their absence!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 30-May-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    Polyura cognata (Vollenhoven, 1861). Common name: Sulawesi Blue Nawab. There are three subspecies recorded from Sulawesi, cognata, bellona and yumikoe (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003;Tsukada, 1991; D'Abrera, 1985).

Teo T P
    I think this is the nominate subspecies, P. cognata cognata. The others appear to have distributions further south (at least according to the sometimes questionable Funet website). I have seen Dick and de Jong's paper, but unfortunately, I do not have a copy here at home,.... yet!

Few shots from the first day, at Bogani Nani (Wartabone) National Park, in the forest:

Kohinoor

Faunis cfr. menado

UnID Satyrinae