Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: North Sulawesi

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    My last 3 for this particular thread.

1) An Allotinus species - I do not expect an ID, this is just to confirm we saw one!
    2) Cethosia sp. - Normally, on Samui, I find this Genus to be excellent models. This one was different, refusing to come down to a decent height.
    3) A beautiful butterfly, Papilio peranthus insulicola, or it would be if pristine. This was the only one we saw who posed. It was not uncommon, but every one we saw was flying fast, so we have had to make do with this very worn specimen!
    RE: # 158.

1. Allotinus sp.
    2. Cehtosia myrina myrina.
    3. Papilio peranthus adamantius.

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    RE: # 158.

3. Papilio peranthus adamantius.

Teo T P
    So correct. Why I got the ssp. wrong here, I have no idea. Brain in overload!!?

So correct. Why I got the ssp. wrong here, I have no idea. Brain in overload!!?
    Overloaded with photos and busy of corrections. Do it slowly Les.

Teo T P

This has been an excellent thread with so much information and photos. I think that seeing those two Graphium sp. alone would have made the trip for me.

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    After viewing the links, i realise that this live specimen looks almost identical to the pinned female of aratus (i'm assuming that the live specimen is female based on the shape of the forewing and the very slight peek at the upperside of the forewing) in that:

- the two outermost postdiscal striae in spaces 6 and 7 of the hindwing are slightly misaligned in the live specimen and the pinned female aratus (connected in fractilinea)

- the two postdiscal striae in the same space as the orange tornal spot are perfectly aligned with those in the spaces above and below in the live specimen and the pinned female aratus (dislocated in fractilinea)

Seems like it's closer to a female aratus.

Of course my assumption that the live specimen is female might well be wrong in the first place and in any case the only fractilinea i'm comparing with is male. Also the configuration of the striae in male and female aratus is totally different (?!?!)
    I wrote to Professor Vane-Wright about the Jamides fractilinea and J. aratus. He referred me to Drs. Andrew Rawlins and John Tennent (unfortunately he is out station and will be back next month) of NHM as both of them are working with Jamides species. I requested a photo from Nelson and sent it to A. Rawlins. Reply received from A. Rawlins and his colleagues pointed out that it is difficult to separate the two species and also male or female with only one underside photo.
    I would like to amend the id as: Jamides sp (?fractilines or aratus).

Teo T P
    Last edited by teotp; 05-Jun-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Thank you for that ,Teo. I was going to do the same thing, (but was a bit worried that Prof. Vane-Wright may have been too busy.) but only after everyone had finished posting, as I do have a couple of other questions concerning one or two of other species.

Andrew had told me, a while back, that he was working on the Jamides, yet I had forgotton.

Fortunately, I had already posted the photo of this species on my site stating both species.

Thank you for that ,Teo. I was going to do the same thing, (but was a bit worried that Prof. Vane-Wright may have been too busy.) but only after everyone had finished posting, as I do have a couple of other questions concerning one or two of other species.

Andrew had told me, a while back, that he was working on the Jamides, yet I had forgotton.

Fortunately, I had already posted the photo of this species on my site stating both species.
    Not at all Les. Prof. Vane-Wright always found time in his very busy schedule to help me with many things and for that my sincere gratitude to him. Yes, Andrew, John and colleagues are carried out extensive works on Jamides species. Just hope that they will publish some review about this genus in the near future.

Teo T P

Default Re-examination of female Lohora ophthalmicus

Relating to posts 27 & 28, here are two specimens, which may be the same species. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, c.200m, the second was in Minahasa Highlands ar c. 1000m. Notice the difference in the inner submarginal line on the hindwing.
    RE: #44

2. ID as Lohora sp instead of female L. ophthalmicus.

Thank you Les for pointing out my mistake. My apology.

Teo T P

Default From the Smithsonian

Blast, we missed it!

"12 September-18 September 2012

According to the Darwin VAAC, ground-based observers reported that on 15 September an ash plume from Lokon-Empung rose to an altitude of 3 km (10,000 ft) a.s.l. On 15 September satellite imagery showed an ash plume drifting 185 km SE.

Source: Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC)

19 September-25 September 2012

According to the Darwin VAAC, ground-based observers reported that on 21 September an ash plume from Lokon-Empung rose to an altitude of 3 km (10,000 ft) a.s.l. Ash was not identified in satellite imagery.

Source: Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC)

3 October-9 October 2012

According to the Darwin VAAC, CVGHM reported that on 6 October an ash plume from Lokon-Empung rose to an altitude of 3.7 km (12,000 ft) a.s.l.; the plume altitude was determined by wind data. A thermal anomaly was detected in satellite imagery. According to a news article, an eruption at 1405 on 7 October ejected incandescent tephra as high as 350 m above the crater and generated an ash plume that rose 1.5 km. The article also noted that Lokon-Empung had erupted 41 times in September and three times on 5 October.

Sources: Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC), The Jakarta Globe"