Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Is there a possibility that LC's quaker is something else?
    I noticed that P. corvus corax is also the Philippine race but this looks different.
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~Ey4y-TKNM/philframe.html
    Also pics of P. corvus (both sexes) do not show the hairy legs.

TL Seow
    These are the reasons I wonder whether should it be under the genus Pithecops, and without examine the venation, genitalia, upperside, androconia, size where can I place it? Besides, the patterns on underside hindwing also looks different to me for P. corvus corax. I just have to base on the secondary features and report from Vane-Wright & R. de Jong(2003). I have not considered the phenotypic plasticity yet. Any suggestion from you?

Yes, Vane-Wright and R. de Jong also stated P. corvus corax range from Java, western Lesser Sunda Islands, Borneo, Philippines and Kep. Taluad.

Teo T P

A few more.

1&2) A couple of Palmkings. I am pretty sure they are both Amathusia virgata, but they may be just plain old A. phidippus. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, at a distance, in deep forest, the second in the Minahasa Highlands. UPDATE - Amathusia virgata virgata confirmed.
    3&4) Doleschallia polybete celebensis - the underside of this species is as variable as with our own D. bisaltide!
    5) A very poor, heavily cropped shot of an Elymnias species, the only photo taken of it as it was so far away. There are 5 species on Sulawesi, but only three found in the north (4 subspecies). E. cumea cumea, E. cumea toliana, E. mimalon mimalon and E. hicetus rarion, but which one is it? UPDATE - E. hicetus rarion
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 30-May-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    A few more.

1&2) A couple of Palmkings. I am pretty sure they are both Amathusia virgata, but they may be just plain old A. phidippus. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, at a distance, in deep forest, the second in the Minahasa Highlands.
    3&4) Doleschallia polybete celebensis - the underside of this species is as variable as with our own D. bisaltide!
    5) A very poor, heavily cropped shot of an Elymnias species, the only photo taken of it as it was so far away. There are 5 species on Sulawesi, but only three found in the north (4 subspecies). E. cumea cumea, E. cumea toliana, E. mimalon mimalon and E. hicetus rarion, but which one is it?
    1. & 2. Amathusia virgata. Common name: Honrath's Palmking. According to Vane-Wright & R. de Jong (2003), two subspecies: thoanthea (North, central & SE Sulawesi) and virgata (South Sulawesi).
    3. & 4. Doleschallia polibete celebensis. This is the only subsp. from mainland Sulawesi. Other subsp. like maturitas and sulaensis are from Banggai and Sula Islands respectively (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003).
    5. Male Elymnias hicetas rarior (North and central Sulawesi). (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003; Butterflies of the Oriental Region Part II - B. D'Abrera, 1985).

Teo T P
    Last edited by teotp; 24-May-2012 at 12:19 PM.

1. Junonia hedonia intermedia

2. Tagiades trebellius trebellius

3. Leptotes plinius plutarchus

4. Rhinopalpa polynice megalonice

5. Doleschallia polibete celebensis

6. Lasippa neriphus tawayana

7. Plastingia tessellata tessellata

Last edited by bluefin; 26-May-2012 at 05:28 AM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Cyrestis strigata strigata

Caleta caleta.

Last edited by bluefin; 26-May-2012 at 05:23 AM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin View Post

Caleta caleta.

1. & 2. Cyrestis strigata strigata. C. strigata is recognised as a seperate species from Sulawesi by Vane-Wright & R. de Jong (2003) , but Holloway (1973) and D''Abrera (1985) considered as a subsp. of C. acilia.
    (Note: Beautiful picture clearly figured the wing pattern of C. strigata, Nelson).

3. As id.

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post
    5. Male Elymnias hicetas hicetas (North and central Sulawesi). (Vane-Wright & R. de Jong, 2003; Butterflies of the Oriental Region Part II - B. D'Abrera, 1985).

Teo T P
    Thank you for the confirmations, particularly the Elymnias, which I though likely to be too bad to get an ID.

I do have a query concernng the Elymnias subspecies. According to VW &dJ, ssp. hicetas is found in Southern Sulawesi, whereas as ssp. rarior is that found in the north. The page split (pp 174/175) for the latter ssp. causes some confusion.

Nelson, the Cyrestis species is, I beleive Cyrestis strigata strigata. I originally had it as C. acilia, to which C. strigata is very closely related, until I realised, after getting a copy of VW & dJ's paper, that that species is not foud in Sulawesi!

My final odds and sods from Bogani Nani NP, before moving on to Kali Waterfall, nr. Manado.

1&2) There are too many Hypolimnas sp. on Sulawesi for me to be 100% posivie of this ones ID. UPDATE - H. bolina bolina
    3) Normally, I would immediately say Zizina otis, but I think that there may be others with similar markings, eg. Bothrina, Pseudobothrina sp. UPDATE - Z. otis ssp.
    4) Mycalesis sp. My brain shuts down when it comes to this genus!
    5) I originally thought this was Eurema nicevillei. However, on return home, I discovered that that species is not on Sulawesi. UPDATE - E. alitha alitha

I will start a separate thread for the Hesperiidae, as that could become quite messy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 30-May-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I'm pretty sure that the lascar is Pantoporia antara
    Aaron Soh