Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Simple answer,,,, Yes!
    So your Pithecops is P. phoenix moeros and LC's photo is P. corvus corax because only two Pithecops species reported from Sulawesi by Van-Wright & R. de Jong (2003). The race phoenix is twice the size of typical corvus (See: Butterflies of the Oriental Region Part III, page 648, 1986, ed. by B. D'Abrera).

At the right begining, I tried to seperate Pithecops from Neopithecops because both genera have similar wing patterns, and the black dots near the forewing costal margin are not the main characteristics to differentiate these two groups of butterflies. Apart from the differences in their male genitalia, the two genera are distinguished by forewing veins 11 and 12 (i.e. R1 and Sc), which are anastomosed for a short distance before reaching the costa in Pithecops (see C&P 4 page 236 fig 93), but seperate in Neopithecops (In: The higher classification of the Lycaenidae - Lepidoptera by J.N. Eliot, Bulletin of the BMNH Entomology, vol 28 no.6, page 448, 1973). Unfortunately all photos unable to show these differences.

Teo T P

Relating to posts 27 & 28, here are two specimens, which may be the same species. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, c.200m, the second was in Minahasa Highlands ar c. 1000m. Notice the difference in the inner submarginal line on the hindwing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Relating to posts 27 & 28, here are two specimens, which may be the same species. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, c.200m, the second was in Minahasa Highlands ar c. 1000m. Notice the difference in the inner submarginal line on the hindwing.
    RE: #44.

Lohora ophthalimicus: 1. male and 2. female. (Refs. Invertebrate Systematics 17: 129-141, 2003; D'Abrera Butts. of Oriental Region II, page 449, 1985).

Teo T P

Some more, but I am getting towards the end of this part of the trip.

1&2) The only Riodinid we came across, Abisara kausambi sabina - CORRECTION - Abisara echerius bugiana
    3) Hypolycaena sipylus giscon - I have tried to reduce the pinkish wash caused by reflection of the flash from the plant it was sitting on. This is as far as I could get without completely ruining the butt!
    4) This may be an Antheme sp. Note the 3 pairs of small tails on the hindwing. - UPDATE- Anthene lycaenina ssp.
    5) No idea! - UPDATE- Catopryops ancyra subfestivus
    5) Also help needed. (Found in my Zizina otis file, but the hindwing submarginal markings are different. - UPDATE - Udara dilecta thoria
    7) A Jamides sp. - UPDATE - Jamides celeno optimus

Only four 'record purposes only' photos left, from me, before I start on the Highlands photos.
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 29-May-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Post #132

5) No idea!
    Looks almost identical to Catopyrops ancyra (Ancyra Blue) with stumps of the tail left.

http://www.butterflycircle.com/check...wbutterfly/154
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Perhaps you all already know this :

If an image is hosted at some photo-hosting site or as an attachment to a site, to attach or quote it into your post as a link you insert the image url for example(with or without the URL tag) :

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/angiud/7239138944/[/url]

and it will appear as a link, like below , that require readers to click on it to open a new page to view it :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angiud/7239138944/

To insert it as an image in your quote use the image tag [img] URL address [/img], for example :

[img]http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18832&stc=1&d=13381686 96[/img]

and it will appear as a picture, this will make understanding the context of the text much easier.

To get the image url of the picture you intend to quote , hover mouse over the intended shot and right click to copy the image url .

If the picture is in a composite attachment , it will be more tedious , you will have to hover your mouse exactly over the shot in the composite to make sure you you get the correct picture's URL and then add the image tag [img] and [/img] before and after the URL to post it as a picture. This is applicable to posting and quoting picture within BC. Some sites disable right click on their picture attachments to prevent copyright infringement.

For your consideration, as this will make reading and understanding the identification process more efficient.

cheers!
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    Post #132

Looks almost identical to Catopyrops ancyra (Ancyra Blue) with stumps of the tail left.
    Thank you. I have not seen this species in the wild before, it certainly looks more or less identical. There are two species of Catopyrops from the Sulawesi region, but only C. ancyra subfestivus is from the North.

post #132
    #4 Anthene villosa; shape of forewing subapical band rules out the other two spp. on Sulawesi.
    Aaron Soh

Some more, but I am getting towards the end of this part of the trip.

1&2) The only Riodinid we came across, Abisara kausambi sabina
    3) Hypolycaena sipylus giscon - I have tried to reduce the pinkish wash caused by reflection of the flash from the plant it was sitting on. This is as far as I could get without completely ruining the butt!
    4) This may be an Antheme sp. Note the 3 pairs of small tails on the hindwing.
    5) No idea!
    5) Also help needed. (Found in my Zizina otis file, but the hindwing submarginal markings are different.
    7) A Jamides sp.

Only four 'record purposes only' photos left, from me, before I start on the Highlands photos.
    RE: #132.

1. & 2. Abisara echerius bugiana (male).
    3. Same as id.
    4. Anthene lycaenina.
    5. Catopyrops ancyra subfestivus.
    7. Jamides celeno optimus.

6. This butterfly belongs to the Lycaenopsis group. I have to go through the keys in "Blue butterflies of the Lycaenopsis group - by J. N. Eliot & A. Kawazoe" and will let you know the id later.

Teo T P

Les, IF YOU HAVE A UPPERSIDE FOR 6., PLEASE SHOW IT.

6. Udara dilecta thoria.

Teo T P
    Last edited by teotp; 28-May-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Last edited by Glorious Begum; 29-May-2012 at 11:04 AM.