Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "No spot" one-spot Grass Yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGee View Post
    Great shots, Khew!

Seow, sorry to be a bit dim but I am still getting to grips with all the terminology associated with butterfly identification. Is the "squarish hindwing contour" you mention costal, towards the base, as shown clearly in Khew's first shot? And is the spot misalignment as shown below?

By hindwing contour, I meant the shape of the hindwing is squarish ie the margin is more angular & not rounded as in the other species. This is clearly seen in Khew's examples.

The misalignment is on the hindwing. In andersonii the dark costal streak cuts down & is in line with the cell-end bar.
    In hecabe they are usually quite out of line. Again shown in Khew's examples.

TL Seow

OK, got it now! Thanks Seow!

Gee

My checklist from the South Cardamom foothills, Cambodia.

I don't think there is any doubt in these images being E. hecabe.

Khew, all credit to you & Sunny fot documenting and keeping a portfolio of these anomalies all these years.
    Without these we will probably always have a bit of doubt in our mind as to the correct ID.
    When the 1st pics were posted I thought it unlikely that E. hecabe can be completely spotless.

Do you have records of other species losing their spots?

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Do you have records of other species losing their spots?
    Not that I know of, unless the individual is really worn out. But that would probably be obvious that the scales would have caused an appearance of lost spots. The shots of pristine specimens so far, at least for me, have always been E. hecabe.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Khew, all credit to you & Sunny fot documenting and keeping a portfolio of these anomalies all these years.
    Without these we will probably always have a bit of doubt in our mind as to the correct ID.
    When the 1st pics were posted I thought it unlikely that E. hecabe can be completely spotless.

TL Seow
    Absolutely. I have not been contributing to this thread recently as I was completely clueless, never having seen a 'no-spot' E. hecabe before, and not even thinking there could be one.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Gee

My checklist from the South Cardamom foothills, Cambodia.