Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "No spot" one-spot Grass Yellow!

Default "No spot" one-spot Grass Yellow!

We seem to have a "no spot" One-spot Grass Yellow here. Les has identified these as Eurema andersoni sadanobui, which should have a single forewing cell spot. However, all four specimens shown appear to have no cell spot. I am not disputing Les's ID, just posting because it might be of interest to some. Incidentally, we also have the normal "one spot" One-spot Grass Yellow here.

Gee

My checklist from the South Cardamom foothills, Cambodia.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGee View Post
    I am not disputing Les's ID[/IMG]
    Oh Yes carry on, please dispute!!

As I told you, I am having total trouble with this.

I can not understand a no spot, other than D. brigitta, from Cambodia, which this so obviously is not!

Have you got a new species here?
    The male is pale greenish yellow & have a very broad black border on the hindwing.
    The excavation of the black border is deeper in space 2 than in the upper space 3 so that the margin is slanted towards the tornus. (not the border margin in space 1a ending on the dorsum.)
    In E. andersoni the inner margin of the black border in space 2 & 3 is upright.

TL Seow
    PS. It is the other way round. The smaller paler one is the female, but the lack of cell-spot and the inclination of the black border at space 2 & 3 say this is not E. andersonii.
    Last edited by Psyche; 20-Apr-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: PS

@Seow: I really hope so!

However, the way you have described it seems almost the same as the description of Eurema lacteola in the BC guide to Eurema identification. Except, of course, that also has one cell spot. I cannot find anything reliable on Eurema lacteola. The wikipedia page shows a butterfly with three cell spots, which, I presume must be Eurema blanda. Yutaka's site does not list Eurema lacteola.

Gee

I considered E. lacteola, but it is only known from the Peninsular,( as far as I am aware). As you say, Yutaka does not even list the species as being from Indo-China.

There is, however, one further species to consider, Eurema novapallida. However, the male appears too bright, but it is found in your approximate area.

Based on the shots on Yutaka's site, I don't think it can be Eurema novapallida because that has no hindwing black border and the forewing black border seems too narrow.

Gee

The way the border in space 2 is more deeply excavated than in space 3 is the difference between E. lacteola & E. andersonii in the Eurema key of C&P4.

I have checked all valid examples of E. andersonii and it is very consistent in the excavation in space 2 being less or equal to that in space 3.

I was confused as I thought initially the paler small one was the male, but the female is always paler & likely to have the broad border on the hindwing.
    This looks like E. lacteola without a cell-spot.
    However, there is also the colour consideration. The male is supposed to be greenish-yellow and the female greenish-white.

TL Seow

After taking another look at E. novapallida, it is also high on the list. The northern ssp. phukiwoana is very dark.
    Those in Cambodia could be intermediate, but again there is a cell-spot.

Interestingly, from the records, E. novapallida was previously thought to be ssp. of E. lacteola.

TL Seow

I do not have access to many sources of reliable images but Yutaka's site shows Eurema novapallida novapallida as the subspecies for this area and the shots shown have no black hindwing border, even on the females. Plus it has a distinct forewing cell spot.

Gee

I have just looked at Eurema novapallida phukiwoana on Yutaka's site and find it hard to believe it is the same species as Eurema novapallida novapallida.

Gee