Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moths from Phu Wiang, NE Thailand

Default Moths from Phu Wiang, NE Thailand

Not situated very far from Nam Nao (my last thread), but with very different habitat. The area where I put up light was open, dry secondary deciduous forest and shrub. I do not know the altitude, but considerably lower than the 800-1000m of my Nam Nao location, so quite different catches.

Here are some, where I have an idea of the ID.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, most of these I have come across, myself on Samui.

The unidentified Lymantriinae will, I'm afraid remain unidentified. There is much work to be done to ascertain whether species are vary variable, or the noticable differences make then true species. Many of my own photos remain unidentified, despite sending them to an expert on the family.

Two questions here:
    1) The first Crambidae, I think, should be C. annulifera.

2)There are three very similar species of Gastropacha, G. pardale, G. philippinensis and G. xenapates. These three can only be positively identified by analysis of the male genitalia. G. philippinensis and G. pardale are both considered rare in Thailand, whereas G. xenapates is deemed the most common.

Ooops I forgot to subscribe to the thread, so for long I did not notice the answer , but thx again Leslie!

So the rest you think are right? That must be one of my best hit scores yet :-D

The Cirrhochrista annulifera and C. brizoalis pics online look very similar to me, what is the distinguishing character? It should from the etymology be the ring shaped figure, I guess - but in my googling many annulifera without and some brizoalis with it. I guess maybe all these are just plainly misID'ed like my own

P. S. I did expect, that there would be more species in common with your area on Samui at Phu Wiang than the nearby, but cold Nam Nao. I guess Kaeng Krachan will be similar (though not similar to Phu Wiang), while Wannakorn should be even more similar to Samui, perhaps? We will see
    Last edited by guldsmed; 26-Mar-2012 at 06:53 AM.

A few more: 2 with tentative IDs to species, two Lymantria I think, a Cyana sp.

Sorry, but I have been away for a few days.

The two named species appear correct. I am not sure about the first Lymantriinae, but the second is Lymantria atemeles.

Cyana spp. are very difficult to be certain about, but it looks, very much like Cyana quadrinota, but this is just an educated guess.

Thx and Leslie, and no need to say sorry, I am not paying a salary or anything for your great help

I did consider Lymantria atemeles for #4 but some online pictures (John Moore and jmoths.org ) led me to consider Lymantria marginata also...
    Last edited by guldsmed; 31-Mar-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Any opinion on these?

The first is, indeed, T. sordida.

The others appear as correct as can be!

It is very slow going with the ID´s of the rest of my pics from Phu Wiang...

The fourth I thought must be a Hypocala, but does not look like any of the species in MoT vol. three or in Digital Moths of Asia, so maybe something else entirely?
    Last edited by guldsmed; 09-Apr-2012 at 09:01 PM.

I think the Hypocala species is H. biarcuata. The forewing uppersides are notoriously variable, but I feel that yours is younger (more recently eclosed) that that shown in MoT3, where the specimen is faded a bit. The major distinguishing marks look all there to me.

The rest are fine, though it is interesting to see a reduced black line on the forewing of the Tamba lala, when compared to that in MoT3. This time, I think yours may have been old.