Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fraser's Hill, March 2012

Default Fraser's Hill, March 2012

Greetings,
    I have just returned from a trip to Malaysia with three friends from the States. This was their first visit to southeast Asia so I was their "guide" who helped them find birds and other animals. All of the guys are retired biologists who worked for the US government.

Our itinerary included Taman Negara, Mt. Kinabalu/Poring/Rafflesia Centre in Sabah, Kubah and Permai in Sarawak, Kuala Selangor and finally Fraser's Hill. We had a wonderful time and saw a good variety of animals. The entire trip proceeded smoothly and we had no problems at all with the internet bookings.

This will be the first of a number of posts. I decided to begin with Fraser's Hill since I've heard rumours that some of you may be heading that way before long. The weather at Fraser's was mixed this year with a couple of nice, sunny days but also a couple of cool, wet days that were not good for most animals. Butterfly diversity and density was much lower this year than last July.

Here are a few shots of Fraser's Hill and the surrounding habitat. This area is one of my favourite sites in Malaysia and is always a fun place to visit. My friends loved the large and colourful birds found on the hill. We did not encounter anything unusual but had good looks at Red-headed Trogons, Fire-tufted Barbets, Long-tailed Broadbill, Silver-breasted Broadbill, Silver-eared Mesia, Verditer Flycatcher, Hill Blue Flycatchers, Blue Nuthatches, Black-and-Crimson Orioles and many others.

Ted's photo of the clock tower.

This is Ted's photo of the Pekan Bunglo where we stayed. The owners are the same but they changed management companies. Now, there is someone at reception everyday and they have an excellent cook on site. Of course, the cost has gone up since last July.

Typical habitat along the Telekom Loop road:

Jeriau Falls area, a great place to photograph puddling butterflies:

There was a nice lookout about halfway down the new road to the Gap. We stopped there for birding but I also put out shrimp paste bait. This attracted some interesting species on our second visit (a sunny day).

Habitat near the Gap.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

I also visited a couple of sites along the road towards Raub. The first site was roughly 4km from the bottom of the new road and at 750m elevation.

The second site was about 8km from the bottom of the new road and at 515m elevation. This was the site where I photographed a Constable last year.

Please let me know of any mistakes in the identifications.

Starry Bob (Iambrix stellifer)?

Aeromachus pygmaeus? Small skipper found along the creek 8km below the Gap.

Hasora leucospila (Thanks, Seow). It was uncooperative and would shift whenever I tried to move side-on to it. This one was photographed near the little shop along the walk to Jeriau Falls.

Jamides caeruleus, female (Thanks, Seow)
    Last edited by moloch; 04-Apr-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Jamides sp., possibly J. zebra (thanks, Seow)

Udara dilecta

Pallid Faun (Melanocyma faunula). This was my first encoutner with the species. I saw two along the river between the carpark and Jeriau Falls

Red Bush Brown (Mycalesis oroatis). Found in the forest at the second site below the Gap.

Mycalesis anaxias. Several seen along the Telekom Loop late one afternoon.

Melanitis phedima. This butterfly was attracted to fermenting banana bait in the forest at the second site below the Gap.

Malayan Owl (Neorina lowii). This was the first time that I have seen this species attracted to shrimp paste bait. I found it below Jeriau Falls.
    Last edited by moloch; 04-Apr-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Cepora nadina. Two were seen below Jeriau Falls.

Plain Puffin (Appias indra). A few were sighted along the creek above Jeriau Falls.

Banded Puffin (Appias pandione). Several were observed near Jeriau Falls.

Chocolate Albatross (Appias lyncida). Common.

Red-spot Sawtooth (Prioneris philonome). One was sighted at the carpark above the falls that is just inland of the large reservoir near Kuala Kubu Bharu.

Neptis cliniodes (thanks, Seow)

This Knight (Lebadea martha) was semi-cooperative. It allowed me to use the flash but flew before I could move directly above it.

Common Nawab (Polyura athamas)
    Last edited by moloch; 04-Apr-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

This Black-tipped Archduke (Lexias dirtea) was attracted to the sweat on my binoculars near Jeriau Falls.

Circe (Hestina mimetica). Visited the bait site near the lookout about halfway down the new road to the Gap.

Courtesan (Euripus nyctelius). Same site as the Circe.

These Leaf Butterflies (Kallima limborgii) are one of my favourites. This one was attracted to fermenting banana bait along the creek at the second site below the Gap (8km along road towards Raub).

David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Tanaecia lepidea (thanks, Seow). It seemed very pale but then the scales appeared worn as well.

Tanaecia munda (thanks, Seow)

Cyrestis maenalis

I think that this is Terinos atlita, correct? It was located at a shelter about 12km from the Gap on the road to Kuala Kubu Bharu.

Royal Assyrian (Terinos terpander). One was found near Jeriau Falls.

Last edited by moloch; 04-Apr-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Greetings,
    I have just returned from a trip to Malaysia with three friends from the States. This was their first visit to southeast Asia so I was their "guide" who helped them find birds and other animals. All of the guys are retired biologists who worked for the US government.

Our itinerary included Taman Negara, Mt. Kinabalu/Poring/Rafflesia Centre in Sabah, Kubah and Permai in Sarawak, Kuala Selangor and finally Fraser's Hill. We had a wonderful time and saw a good variety of animals. The entire trip proceeded smoothly and we had no problems at all with the internet bookings.
    Beautiful shots, David! No wonder you are quiet for a while. It must be one enjoyable trip visiting so many places and taking so many beautiful photos. The Jeriau waterfall photos bring back good memories when some of us went up there last year.
    And more please
    -Loke

Post 2
    Hasora zoma (tornal white spot variable.)Correction it is Hasora leucospila.
    Jamides caeruleus female.

Post 3
    One of 3, J. celeno, pura & zebra female.
    Forewing white straie are equally broad throughout- probably J. zebra.

Post 4
    Neptis cliniodes.

Post 6
    Tanaecia lepidea (Pale grey band tend to appear white in pic.)
    Tanaecia munda.( Hindwing spots mostly white.)

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 04-Apr-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: wrong ID Hasora

Thanks, Loke.

As always, thanks so much for your help with the identifications, Seow. It is much appreciated.

Regards,
    David
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

Red Helen (Papilio helenus). Common near Jeriau Falls.

Graphium chironides (thanks, Seow) One at Jeriau Falls.

Chocolate Tiger (Parantica melaneus). Common at Jeriau Falls and the falls 4km along road towards Raub.

Striped Blue Crow (Euploea mulciber). Common at Jeriau Falls and the falls 4km along the road towards Raub.

Purple-brand King Crow (Euploea eunice)

Last edited by moloch; 06-Apr-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia