Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Khao Sok NP, Surat Thani, Thailand

Very interesting.

The red eyes and body shape indicates a member of the erionota group.
    The hindwing cilia is ?orange. I noticed your colour setting is too orange so the whole colour need to be toned down a tad.

Matapa is out as its hindwing cell is produced at vein 4.
    Zela is discounted as its hindwing cell is very short.
    Gangara is discounted as its hindwing cell is shorter than 1/2 the hindwing length & by colouration/pattern
    Erionota have the right length for the cell. Again colour & pattern is wrong.

This leaves one possibility to check out.
    The female of Ge geta.
    The male is quite dark but I don't know ochreous the female is on the underside.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 31-Mar-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarification for Gangara

Thank you. Yes, the photo is a bit over orange, but I had already toned it down a bit! I can confirm that the butterfly was a quite bright orange in colour.

I have never seen a female Ge geta, though I am aware that it does have spots in spaces 2,3,6 & 7. There also looks as if there is a spot at the cell-end. The lightened veins are also a bit odd. I got the impression that this was quite a pristine specimen, so wear and tear should be out. Nothing I have read indicates that the female is orange.

Les,
    In looking thru Yutaka's website I have already check out other possibilities in the group except one Unkana flava (no pic).

Also tried out remote possibilities eg Suada (black eyes; ample wings.)

If the female of Ge geta (cellspot may be variable; orangey cilia) can be excluded, chances are you have an entirely new species.
    I would add probably a new genus as well.

TL Seow

Thanks for posting the Malay Forest Bob photo, so much clearer than mine. Hopefully, this will help Seow confirm the species.

chances are you have an entirely new species.
    Wow, could be a very successful small trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thanks for posting the Malay Forest Bob photo, so much clearer than mine. Hopefully, this will help Seow confirm the species.
    I concur it is S. phiditia.
    The spot in space 2 is not hyaline.
    Also seen underside of S. isota on Indian website (quite orange).

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Les,
    In looking thru Yutaka's website I have already check out other possibilities in the group except one Unkana flava (no pic).

Also tried out remote possibilities eg Suada (black eyes; ample wings.)

If the female of Ge geta (cellspot may be variable; orangey cilia) can be excluded, chances are you have an entirely new species.

TL Seow
    Unkana flava is the same size as U. ambasa, so it can be ruled out.

This Hesperid is proving as interesting as I thought it might. Antonio can confirm that I got rather excited when I saw it. Admitedly, at the time, I thought that it may have been a new Matapa species, as I knew that no existing sp. had spots on the forewing, but, as you say, the venation is wrong.

It is a shame that we only have photos, but someone will have to obtain a collecting permit in Thailand first to get a voucher specimen (if it proves not to be the female Ge geta, which, in all honesty, I do not think it is!).

Sorry, Antonio, I misled you about the Assyrian. It is not. T. terpander, but, instead, Terinos clarissa malayanus. The hindwing is more pronounced at vein 4. Actually, I think we saw all 3 members of this genus.