Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Khao Sok NP, Surat Thani, Thailand

Default Khao Sok NP, Surat Thani, Thailand

Just to open a thread for Antonio and myself to post our photos from our visit there during the last 4 days.

This is a beautiful, peaceful place, despite being popular with tourists. These, however, are very well behaved when compared to those LC and I came across in Taman Negara.

The weather was good, though the morning mist did not disappear until about 9.30 each morning, and clouds started appearing at about 13.30 every day, thunder started about 14.30 and it was usually raining at 15.00.

Altogether, I know that I found 17 species new to me, probably more, so how many were new to Antonio would be almost uncountable!!!!

I am posting two awful shots now, don't worry, the rest will be much, much better. These will be the only butt shots shown until Antonio has posted his location shots to give you an idea of the environment in which we 'worked'. These will include some very rare species, and some, I am sure, you will not have seen before, including one Skipper that could, possibly, be a new species, but I will leave that one until the end to keep you in suspense .

The first is a female Neomyrina nivea periculosa ( Great White Imperial). She was ovipositing, and never stayed still, but it was the first time I have seen this species.

The second one was, I first thought, a Bibasis sena, however, now looking at it closer, I think that it is more likely to be an extremely rare Zela onara solex (Dark Club Yellow Palmer). Confirmation of this would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Of course help for the unidentified species and corrections of the mistakes are both welcome

A couple of corrections required, together with the scientific names for any future 'searches':

Post No. 3:
    1) Correction - This is the Curved Cyclops (Note only 3 subapical spots on the forewing) - Erites medura russelli.
    2) Tiger Hopper - Ochus subvittatus subvittatus.
    3) Correction -This is a Six-line blue.
    4) Dark Posy - Drupadia theda renonga.
    5) Tailed Yellow Owl - Neorina crishna archaica.

Post No.4:
    Black Tipped Archduke - Lexias dirtea merguia.
    Sumatran Gem - Poritia sumatrae sumatrae.
    Forest Quaker - Pithecops corvus corvus.
    Common Clubtail - Atrophaneura coon doubledayi.

The Arhopala, I have not yet checked the keys!

As we arrived on the Sunday afternoon, we did not enter the Park that day, but, instead wandered arround wastleand near our resort. Not much was found, but these were photographed, and need ID confirmation.

1 & 2) Aeromachus pygmaeus (Pygmy Scrub Hopper)
    3 & 4) A Telicota sp.? - I suspect I will be told this is Cephrenes aculle....again! CORRECTION - Telicota bambusae, Thank you Seow.
    5) A Potanthus trachala?
    6) Nacaduba hermus swatipa (Pale Four-Line Blue)

The more interesting species will follow shortly!
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 31-Mar-2012 at 09:49 AM.

During our first day in the Park, we came across, in addition to those already posted by Antonio:

1 & 2) Drupadia scaeva scaeva (Blue Posy)
    3 & 4) Iton semamora semamora (Common Wight)
    5) I think this is Scobura phiditia (Malay Forest Bob) - Antonio, you have a much better photo of this (the one with the large opaque spot on the hindwing, could you post it?)
    6) I think this is Halpe zema zema (Banded Ace) - CORRECTION Halpe ormmes vilasina ( Dark Banded Ace)
    7) Sarangesa dasahara dasahara (Common Small Flat)
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 30-Mar-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Just adding a female Yellow Pansy, as Antonio has shown the male.