Thread: Help!

Default Help!

HI,i need advice on how to get close to a Painted Jezebel.I tried to but it flew away.

Ahem.. Les

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Begum View Post
    Ahem.. Les
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

My experience with the Painted Jezebel is that there isnt really much point in chasing it around unless its in the resting or feeding mood. Occasionally, we do encounter them feeding on nectaring flowers. It is definitely not a planned event where I go out to the field to find the particular butterfly. Another point, this could be purely co-incidental, but most of my shots of the PJ resting is roughly around 3pm.

If your thinking of shooting the bugger when it is resting, its the best to slowly inch your way in without any sudden movements or disturbing any of the connecting branches/twigs/leaves (if ur in the undergrowth), quite similar to tracking the other butts that are stationary. When they are feeding, they would be quite oblivious to you but they would probably be skipping from flower to flower, so chancing on the right angle may be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents worth, the other veteran shooters may provide better or more scientific approaches to shooting this wee beauty. Or alternatively, somewhere up north in Koh Samui, resides a male Painted Jezebel by the name of Leslie that is certainly not that camera shy =P
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Begum View Post
    Ahem.. Les
    A short flight by Silk Air will do it! Alternatively, I will be in Singapore for the evenings of 11th and 19th May.

My solution - breed them and when they hatch, you have lots of time to photograph them, in pristine condition too .
    Steven Neo
    Superstition is the offspring of coincidences.

Pray to the Butterfly fairy and some day you find one right infront of you
    when you don't have a camera with you

Thanks and yes,when i dont have my camera with me things just start popping out of nowhere