Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: celeno, pura or something else?

Thank you for all your hard work. It is unfortunate that Jamides never seem to sunbathe, at least I have never seen them rest openwinged.

Since the males of the two species are readily differentiated on the upperside forewings, a couple of random high speed shots while they are fluttering around a wet spot will do wonders.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you for all your hard work. It is unfortunate that Jamides never seem to sunbathe, at least I have never seen them rest openwinged.
    That's true. It would be most unnatural to see one sunbathing in the field. It's not a habit that I've ever observed in all my years of watching butterflies (there was once I encountered an open-winged one though, but that's because it was in the jaws of a spider!)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Since the males of the two species are readily differentiated on the upperside forewings, a couple of random high speed shots while they are fluttering around a wet spot will do wonders.
    Looks like there's a need to capture and study some specimens to validate this characteristic to distinguish between the two species.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

what about this one? Lokks very white... should it be celeno female??

jamides by bluebottlethejon, on Flickr
    cheers
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Banded Yeoman View Post
    what about this one? Lokks very white... should it be celeno female??
    It does looks like J. celeno female.
    Do you have the underside. We are trying to match the upperside with the underside.
    Do remember most Caerulean females have similar markings above & flash can make it very white.

Both sexes of J. pura are bluer than the correseponding sexes of J. celeno.
    White Caerulean is a misnomer for J. pura.
    White Caerulean is the name for J. cleodus, & J. pura was once placed as a subspecies (ie as J. cleodus pura ) which is probably how the name was transfered to J. pura.

TL Seow