Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moths from Nam Nao, Thailand

Thx a lot, I had an inkling about the genus of Ericeia inangulata, and am happy, that the last one was a notodontid as I thought, though I could find nothing similar.

The geometrids must be one geometrine (Hemithea? or something like that) and one ennomine (Cleora, Boarmia, Alcis, Ectropis, Peribatodes or something like that).

#2 I can not even get a family to (is it a noctuid, a geometrid or a pyralid or something else entirely), but never mind it is worn and boring anyway

I will upload more unIDed tonight

Here are some more...

3 ennomines (1, 2, 8)

assorted noctuids (4, 9 and possibly 11)

a drepanine (3)

a hypenine (5)

# 6 could be herminiine or rivuline, but maybe not...

# 7, 10, 12: I have no idea...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Theses are now getting difficult!

1&2) I agree most probably Ennomines.
    3) A Drepanidae, but I have no books on this family.
    4) You may be right about family, but I have come across several Notodontids resting in a similar fasion, but this is not in my book.
    5) Hypena iconicalis (Hypeninae).
    6) Sorry, no idea.
    7) I think it is a Drepanidae. The wing shape is similar to those of the Phalacra genus.
    8) Noctuidae. No idea.
    9) Noctuidae. No idea.
    10) Anuga sp. (Eutelidae). The resting pose is very distictive. I suspect A. multiplicans, but the hindwing tornal spot is larger than normal, so I can not be positive with this.
    11) No idea.
    12) I have seen several of the Arctiinae with this resting style. However, this is not in my book.

Sorry, it is the best I can do with these!

Yeah, I was also totally bewildered by these. But you nailed some, thx a lot!

What about these?

The first (# 1 and 2) I have no idea, but suspect it to be easy?

#3 Bombycidae

#4 Ennominae

#5-6 Lymantridae (Lymantria + Euproctis s. l. ?)

#7 Lasiocampidae

#8 Arctidae

#9 Ennominae

#10 Lymantria?

Another 12 un-ID'ed...

I can get to family or subfamily for most, but that is all, except the one that you earlier said Anuga to, I am including that in case it gets it closer to positive species ID

Sorry, not been very successful with these last two posts.
    Post 34 -
    No. 6 - Lymantriinae, as you say, I also have a photo of this, which remains unidentified!
    No. 8 - Macotasa nubeculoides (Arctiinae).

Post 35 -
    No. 5 - Definitely an Anuga species, but I do now have doubts as to which of several very similar species it can be.
    No. 11 - Padenia duplicana (Arctiinae)
    No. 12 - Zanclognatha sp. indet (Herminiinae). My book shows this species, but leaves it simply as I have put it!

I'll keep on trying, but I am not hopeful for the rest, however distinctive they may be. Your possible Lasiocampidae (Post 34) is not in the volume relating to that Family.

Well, I am glad of any help, and you already helped me tremendously

There are not so many left from Nam Nao now, but after those, I will open threads from Phu Wiang (many), Khao Soi Dao (few as I could not bring my Hg lamp), Baan Maka near Khaeng Krachan (few as the lamp mostly attracted bees there) and Wanakorn Beach (many). Unless you are tired of my too many small brown jobs?

Regarding the Anuga I saw that John Moore on his Flickr! has an identical looking one ID'ed as A. indigofera. I looked it up, and it certainly looks similar also in Moths of Borneo, but the distribution is given as "Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra", so maybe not very likely in Northern Thailand...

MoB also mention a similar and probably closely related A. multiplicans from India and Sri Lanka. Wonder if any of these two could occur in Northern Thailand or if it is possible, that there actually is a third undescribed(?) taxon filling the void between A. multiplicans and A. indigofera
    Last edited by guldsmed; 13-Mar-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guldsmed View Post
    I will open threads from Phu Wiang (many), Khao Soi Dao (few as I could not bring my Hg lamp), Baan Maka near Khaeng Krachan (few as the lamp mostly attracted bees there) and Wanakorn Beach (many). Unless you are tired of my too many small brown jobs?
    Oh dear! I have opened a large workload.

Just joking, If I can add just a few names it is better than nothing. Please continue posting.

You must realise that about 60% of moth species found in Thailand are not either scientificaly described, or known from Thailand. I would say that I have photos of a far larger number of unknown species than ones that the experts can identify.

You are continuing this. Thank you. The professionals who study specific families need to look at our photos, contact those of us who live in these lesser studied areas and say, "this looks like a new species, if you come across it again, can you provide a voucher specimen".

Regretably, these pros seem to consider amateur field entomologists of no importance. They are making a big mistake.

Not quite so here in Western Europe. For instance Michael Fibiger the recently (one year ago) deceased chairman of our entomological society here in Copenhagen was trained and worked as a psychologist, but was a renowned expert on noctuids internationally (editor and main author of a multi volume work on on European noctuids) and I think the only real expert in the world on Micronoctuidae.

But I think you are right in almost any other part of the world, the pros do not count the "private entomologists" (aka amateurs).

I would not mind get vouchers for the pros (I collect here in Denmark). The problem would be, that many of the places I go to are National Parks, and taking vouchers would require having a permit, which I believe is a hassle to get? And if it is not planned collecting, normally I would not bother to seek a permit in advance, which means I can not do it, if the wanted guy suddenly shows up at the light... In places like Denmark we can normally collect where ever and what ever we want (except specially protected species - these are very few just 10-15 butterflies and one (1) moth). To have real impact of contributions from field amateurs, I honestly think it is necessary to generally allow non-commercial collecting. Sites and species can be exempted (closed zones, protected species) from this off course.

The last two portions from Nam Nao, first the geometrids - I know you do not have litterature, but you might know one anyway. Or some may not be geometrids at all, which may mean that you know them