Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moths from Nam Nao, Thailand

Interesting info, there must be some way to differentiate the imagos of different genera, though? Or how are are species, where the caterpillar is unknown, assigned to genus?

Here in Denmark we have only one species of Stauropus and one of Harpyia and no Syntypistis, so it is a bit easier...

Some geometrids...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by guldsmed View Post
    Interesting info, there must be some way to differentiate the imagos of different genera, though? Or how are are species, where the caterpillar is unknown, assigned to genus?
    Very fair question. Usually its is venation or examination of the male genitalia, or both. I think that there will be a lot of changes before the scientists ever agree. Tropical lepidoptera, particularly the moths is most definitely a 'work in progress'!

It may mean something to you, certainly not me, but Syntypistis male genitalia is described as "display a long uncus with gnathos, long and slender valves and an often diagnostic sclerotized 8th. abdominal segment. The socii are reduced or absent" (Schintlmeister, Moths of Thailand, Volume 5, 2007, p.126).

Personally, I'm none the wiser!!!!!

Thx, I am a bit wiser, I do not practice gentalia dissection/preparation, but have tried once in an entomology course at university and know many people who do it all the time.

I do not remember, what uncus (I think it means thorn) and gnathos are, but the valves are the lateral appendages of males (can be seen without dissection), and the next part does not refer to the genitals, but states that the 8th segment is hard. The socii is also something in the genitals, that I do not remember what is...

Did you have any opinion on the 3 geometrids?

Here are some more, one appeared before with a totally wrong I D (from thaibugs), here is a more likely one from Hong Kong Moths.

Quote Originally Posted by guldsmed View Post
    Did you have any opinion on the 3 geometrids?
    The second and third are right. I am not sure about the first. Certainly the markings are very similar, but your photo looks much darker, to that on ThaiBugs. John Moore has a couple of other photos in that gallery left unidentified which are darker, and closer to yours. I suspect you may be right, most certainly to Genus level.

With regards to the last 3, the two Arctiinae (2&3) are right. I am still not totally sure about the first. The apparant distribution of the species misses out Indo-China completely, and there are a couple of photos on flickr or pbase both labelled as such, but which appear different from each other. The one on flickr seems closer, but the white head markings look different, but it may simply be the angle of the shot.

Thx again for your insights!

I found several pics now that looks spot on for Aeologramma albiscripta, but I see your point, it may be wrong again, or it may be that the distribution is wider than given... The Indochina actually seem a weird "hole" surrounded by areas of occurrence. Hmm...

Anyway, it seems that the rest of my pics from Nam Nao, I get no further than family. Should I upload them to the thread, maybe you know some of them, or is it too much?

Much of Indo-China is, indeed, a hole, what with the problems of Myanmar, Cambodia in the 1970s and Thailand being closed to foreign scientists until the 1960s, and there are still difficulties in getting collecting permits here in National Parks.

Please post those unidentified species. I may be able to help, but not with the Geometridae or Lymantriinae, unless I have already photographed the species, in which case you could find them in my 'Galleries' on the website.

OK, here comes first 5. Two geometrids, one notodontid (?), one catocaline (?) and a no-idea-ine

The first is Ericeia inangulata (Catocalinae).
    The last one is Besida (Ortholomia) xylinata (Notodontidae).

Sorry, I can not find the other 3.