Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moths from Nam Nao, Thailand

Good luck with the auction. Moths of Borneo is online (15 out of 18 volumes - volume 17 is published but not yet online, volumes 2 & 13 are not yet published), and I use it regularly.

You can always email me, or post here, with any species not included in the Thailand volumes you can get, and I will see what I can do.
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 29-Feb-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thx a lot. Here comes some more. I will send first all the Nam Nao stuff, I can get a tentative or incomplete ID on. At the end of the thread, all the impossibles (to me!) will follow...

I use the on-line version of Moths of Borneo too, but I guess the plates will be better in the book than the screen version?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by guldsmed; 29-Feb-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Nice, Particularly the second one which is considered quite rare. Incidentally, both Schlintmeister and Holloway have the Genus as Harpyia, not Hyrpyia.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Nice, Particularly the second one which is considered quite rare. Incidentally, both Schlintmeister and Holloway have the Genus as Harpyia, not Hyrpyia.
    Yes I just noticed that my self, I wonder where I copied the wrong spelling from. I should have known immediately, we have one species of Harpyia in Denmark too (H. milhauseri).

Two incomplete and quite uncertain IDs here...

A few more, mostly to genus only...

The Pencillifera is P. apicalus.

Those that you have given the species name appear correct. The rest are very difficult.

I do not think that the Hexafrenum sp. is that genus. In fact, my book on the Notodontidae has nothing silmilar at all!

The others belong to the Lymantriinae or Noctuidae, and I can not find out their species name, though I did find another photo of the Arctornis sp. at Thai Bugs, but that was also labelled unidentified.

Thx a lot.

I am not surprised, that the "Hexafrenum" is wrong, it does not look like a notodontid to me at all, but while looking for something else, I saw a picture on thaibugs.com, that was an exact match, and labelled with that name : http://www.thaibugs.com/wp-content/g...afrenum-sp.jpg

A misidentification at thaibugs then. To me it look like a noctuid or nolid maybe...

The Actornis I think is very likely to be be that genus, it is almost identical to the European species A. l-nigrum, that I know well from Denmark.

Found this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettama...57605819766326 - remarkably similar to my "Netria multispina"...

Yes, a good match. Now to confuse you!!!! In the Thai book, it is called Syntypistis pallidifascia, having been previously been known as Stauropus pallidifacia.

A large number of previous genera have been lumped together under Syntypistis, including Vaneeckeia, Taiwa, Stauropodopsis, Egonocia, Quadricalcarifera and Omestia. This is appears mainly due to the appearance of the larval stages, where known, which differ from Stauropus and Harpyia.

Schlintmeister states that the true classification of Syntypistis is not clear yet, and possibly should be divided into several subgenera, in which case, these above mentioned 'lumped' genera may make a reappearance, but only as subgenera.