Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Koh Phangan 2012

Nice shots, Antonio. I really like to colour, texture and setting of the Lemon Pansy. I have not yet seen that species. Is it common in Thailand?

Regards,
    David
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Nice shots, Antonio. Now to look for the Chain Swordtail (Pathysa aristeus), however you will only have a short window of opportunity, as it only has a single brood each year, and will have disappeared by the end of April!

David, the five Pansies we have, Chocolate, Gray, Peacock, Lemon and Blue, are all common throughout Thailand, except montane areas. The one species missing from these Islands is the Yellow Pansy (Junonia hierta), which is odd, as it is common on the mainland.

Hi Antonio, nice shot of the Lemon Pansy
    EC Goh

Nicely done on the Five Bar Swordtail, Antonio!

Quote Originally Posted by moloch View Post
    Nice shots, Antonio. I really like to colour, texture and setting of the Lemon Pansy. I have not yet seen that species. Is it common in Thailand?
    The Lemon Pansy seems to be more common in the northern part of Malaysia, although I believe they've been spotted as far south as KL once in a while. They are common at times at the Penang Botanic Gardens. When I shot this one some time back, there were at least half a dozen of them frolicking in the sunshine, in the same behaviour as their other relatives - chasing each other in a spiralling dogfight.

We also encountered them on our earlier trip to Langkawi, so it would suggest that the species is common in the northern part of Malaysia. Now we wait patiently for them to slowly move southwards towards Singapore.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Thanks for the info, Les and Khew. That was another excellent photo, Khew. Sometime, I hope to visit Langkawi and view some of those northern species.

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Today, despite the very hot season and the 6 kg more (of fat) I'm carrying, i did a nice 2 hours walking up on 2 hills with a small dry forest.

For Les: I've seen several Cheritra freja and again one beautiful, pristine bur very shy Neocheritra amrita

The Common Imperial - ผีเสื้อขาวหางริ้ว - Cheritra freja freja

The Forest Hopper - ผีเสื้อนิลป่า - Astictopterus jama jama

Prosotas sp.

The Long Banded Silverline - ผีเสื้อลายขีดเงินลายขอ - Cigaritis lohita senama

The Prosotas looks like P. pia because of the blurry submarginal markings, but thankfully this male have its forewing raised up high.
    In P. pia the band below the central cell spot/band is reduced & narrow.

So this is correctly P. nora male.
    I think in pia at least the submarginal spots on the hindwing should be rather vague & washedout.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 17-Apr-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Nice shots, Antonio. Now to look for the Chain Swordtail (Pathysa aristeus), however you will only have a short window of opportunity, as it only has a single brood each year, and will have disappeared by the end of April!
    I am wondering what you meant by only a single brood a year, since this will be quite extraordinary for a tropical species.

I gather the species is migratory, the butterflies settled in a area to lay their eggs. The progeny of these migrants after they emerged then fly to another area and repeat the process.

Pathysa aristeus is wide-ranging, from India to Australia, but strangely enough is restricted to the far north of Malaya. Perhaps its favoured hostplant is one that only thrives in a strongly seasonal climate.

TL Seow

It's so hot these weeks that I don't go out easily... But I notice a greater traffic and I guess the season is starting! Yesterday only one shot that deserves to be posted, but it's the first record for KPG (I know, I know, in Samui is common):

The Gray Tinsel - ผีเสื้อแวววาวเทา - Catapaecilma major emas

Glorious photo of this wonderfully hairy species. It must have just eclosed, I have never seen one with such ochraceous colouring, mine all seem to be much greyer unfortunately. I even had to do a quick check to make sure it was not C. subochrea, which it isn't, and it is a northern Thai species.

Not common here, but still seen on a quite regular basis.