Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Samui 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    3. should be the female of G. lebadea, since the subapical spots are missing.
    4. is J. celeno. All the striae are misaligned.
    5 is P. trachala. Hindwing dark spotting; forewing spots indented margins & little overlap between spot 3 & 4.
    6. should be Caltoris bromus. Partially pale antennal shaft; 2 cell spots; (slightly ochreous) brown underside.

TL Seow
    Thanks, Seow.

Re 3) - Below is the underside. I noticed the apparant lack of subapical spots, but felt that the position of the existing forewing spots discounted G. lebedea, no hindwing pale band, and it seemed too large as well.
    Re 4) Blast.... still trying to find a decent shot of J. pura, or another, as yet, unrecorded member of this group.
    Re 5) Thanks, I had wondered.
    Re 6) I really can not tell these genera apart from the undersides. Mental block here !

Thanks Brian for your kind comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the gangara looks like g. thrysis to me.

The hindwing does have a number of pale bands, suggesting it could not be lebadea. Maybe this is due to wear nd tear, but the other point that bothers me is the pale apex, which is evident in thrusis but not in lebadea.

What do think?
    cheers
    Jonathan

In our areas is a almost disappointing time for the butterflies (and for me also the little free time because of the heavy work for the high season

So it is G. thyrsis after all.
    The 3 subapical spots are actually discernable here.

TL Seow

Default Week 5

Still very little in the way of butt activity, but what I am seeing is generally pristine, so there is hope for the forthcoming weeks.

The few I managed to capture include a new record shot.
    1) The record shot, the upperside of Thauria aliris pseudaliris (Tufted Jungleking). In 5 years, I have never seen one resting open winged before.
    2) The other Ariadne species on Samui, Ariadne merione ginosa (Common Castor)
    3) Common forest species here, but I like it, Bassarona dunya dunya (The Marquis)
    4) Not found in Singapore, so I thought I would show it, Miletus chinensis learchus (Common Brownie)
    5) Another Caltoris species? This looks darker than the C. bromus I showed before.

The Jungle King is quite a handsome Amathusine. It is rather rare, but when a wild nutmeg tree is fruiting it seem to appear in the vicinity together with Thaumantis species in Templer Park KL, though I have never actually seen one on the fallen fruits which have a powerful scent.
    I was surprised to encounter one in the ground of the Malayan Nature Society HQ KL where there is a small patch of secondary forest in a ravine about half a football field size. However, as its hostplant include the very common Fishtail Palm, Caryota mitis, it is probably safe.

It is a Caltoris species with its paler antennal shaft & greenish hair.
    A very worn individual with an upper cell spot indicating 2 cell spots present.
    The underside is rather darker than in bromus & it is most likely C. brunnea.

TL Seow

Thanks for the ID, again. It is actually what I suspected, for a change!

The Tufted Jungleking is quite common here, I must have seen at least 40 today, and I always see one or two all year round. Regretably, it does not appear that we have any Thaumantis species on the Island, at least, I have never found one......yet!

I think the forest vegetation of Koh Pha Ngan would be more to its liking than the seriously depleted forest we have on Samui. Antonio, its up to you!

It is nice to see the Jungelking with open wings! Sounds like this is a very rare event.

Regards,
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Default Week 6 to 5.3.2012

Activity has been terrible round here recently.

However, today, though still overcast, I managed a +1 for Samui, though Antonio has found the male on Koh Pha Ngan.

1) The +1 - Hypolimnas misippus (Danaid Eggfly), female. I had been wondering why I had not seen this species before, so it was, in honesty no great suprise. Poor photo, but a record anyway.
    2) Because I know SK like this species, Cethosia biblis perakana (Red Lacewing), male.
    3) Showing this due to its unusal setting. This female Athyma nefte subrata f. neftina female (Colour Sergeant) flew into my house. I had only seen this female form once before, and not in the vicinity of my house.
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 06-Mar-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    2) Because I know SK like this species, Cethosia biblis perakana (Red Lacewing), male.
    Thanks Les! And a nice male specimen to boot! Love the reds on this species.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try