Thread: Zographetus sps?

Default Zographetus sps?

LCs recent photo of Zographetus rama has made me look at my Zographetus photos much earlier than anticipated.

I have these bth in my Z. doxus file, but I am now thinking that the second may be Z. ogygioides, the ground colouring is very different.

Help please!
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a tough one, but I think it is Zographetus ogygia.

Both ogygia & ogygioides are almost identical but there is some subtle differences though I don't know if they are consistent.

There is a better contrast of colour on the forewing so that the apex is a tad brighter and the costal streak is prominent.

On the hindwing there is a smudge at the base of space 7 (where the big spot is) whereas in ogygioides there is a definite spot.
    The underside is evenly ferruginous brown whereas in ogygioides it is shaded dark grey along the costa.

Since you did not mentioned ogygia, I presumed it has not been recorded in KS yet.

TL Seow

Zographetus ogygioides is not known in India, so this Z. ogygia is correct.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsoon...oi/4247267713/

TL Seow

Thank you. I did not mention Z. ogygia as, according to C&P4, the hindwing is unicolorous, whereas that of Z. ogygioides has 'the post-discal spots well marked'.

I had wondered about this key, as I have seen photos stated as Z. ogygia with these spots, but C&P4 is the best 'bible' I have!

Both species have the potential of being here.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Zographetus ogygioides is not known in India, so this Z. ogygia is correct.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsoon...oi/4247267713/

TL Seow
    Ahem! I'm in Peninsular Thailand .

Actually, I have Z. ogygioides listed on my site, but with no photo, based on an 'ex' specimen I held, and using the key as before, but it can be easily changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Thank you. I did not mention Z. ogygia as, according to C&P4, the hindwing is unicolorous, whereas that of Z. ogygioides has 'the post-discal spots well marked'.

I had wondered about this key, as I have seen photos stated as Z. ogygia with these spots, but C&P4 is the best 'bible' I have!

Both species have the potential of being here.
    C&P4 was trying to differentiate the even ground colour of ogygia (line 6) from the patchy ground colour of doxus (line 7).

TL Seow

I see. Thank you for this clarification on the key. Looks like I will have to change a couple of things. At least it will mean one less species without a photo.

The last one could be Thoressa..kindly check with your available literature..where was it taken? can any one update the Zographetus caterpillar images from Igarashi volume 2?

Quote Originally Posted by kaleshs2002in View Post
    The last one could be Thoressa..kindly check with your available literature..where was it taken? can any one update the Zographetus caterpillar images from Igarashi volume 2?
    It is too different, with the white-clubbed antennae , to consider Thoressa.
    Koh Samui is an island in peninsular Thailand.

TL Seow

I have not been able to find any record of any Thoressa species being found in the Peninsular.

I feel happy with it being Z. ogygia.