Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2 hours at Huay Too National Park - Krabi TH

Thank you, Seow. You have correctly realised what my problems/queries were, including the synonymised L. martha samuina.

I was also going to mention that Pinratana's Volume 3 (1996) of Butterflies of Thailand states for L. martha malayana...."DISTRIBUTION: Peninsular Thailand, where there is a zone of intergradation extending into the north of the Malay Peninsular. Occurs typically in Malay Peninsular south of Kedah River".

It makes me wonder whether they should be considered separate subspecies at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post

It makes me wonder whether they should be considered separate subspecies at all!
    By 'they' I gathered you meant the taxa martha & malayana. The typical forms of both (from Phuket & Perak respectively) are distinctive enough.
    I noticed most of what Yutaka labelled as malayana are closer to the type of martha from Phuket.
    In fact C&P4's checklist stated ssp martha for Kedawi as well (It is north of the Kedah River.).

As Langkawi has many ssp. of Siamese origin, it suggests that when Sundaland was separated from the mainland, the peninsula extended southwards on the western side from Phuket to Langkawi, while Sundaland extended northwards on the eastern side to Samui & KPN.
    When Sundaland was reconnected, these four areas became islands.

KPN is unique as the form of L. martha there looks typically of ssp. malayana.
    Samui appeared to have too much infusion of ssp martha blood from the mainland, although the female is distinctive.

The situation is quite similar to that of Hypolimnas bolina where in many places two subspecies, bolina & jacintha occur in sympatry.

TL Seow
    PS. Didn't realised the KPN population is also variable in colour.
    The male from KPN.
    http://www.neutron.phys.ethz.ch/Lepi...e/IMG_7075.JPG
    The female by Antonio.
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6139/5...624b8727_z.jpg

Female from Phuket (definitive ssp. martha. )
    http://www.khaophrathaew.org/Fauna/O...05_Lebadea.jpg
    Female from Malaya (definitive ssp. malayana. )
    http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/25/686825/1/...knightcopy.jpg

I believed most of the population of peninsular Thailand is referable to ssp. martha.
    Last edited by Psyche; 16-Dec-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: PS

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post

As Langkawi has many ssp. of Siamese origin, it suggests that when Sundaland was separated from the mainland, the peninsula extended southwards on the western side from Phuket to Langkawi, while Sundaland extended northwards on the eastern side to Samui & KPN.
    When Sundaland was reconnected, these four areas became islands.
    I was pondering this yesterday afternoon whilst in the pub, and came to the same conclusions.

As I think I have mentioned before, it can be very confusing when living where two major faunal areas (Sundaland and Indo-Burmese/Indo-Chinese) are merging, allbeit slowly.

Back from Kaeng Krachen, a little diversion for personal business at Krabi allowed me a few hours at Khao Phanom Bencha, very dry with the river reduced to a thin stream. I start with these pictures, much more easy to manage.

The Common Clubtail - Losaria coon doubledayi
    A common encounter in the forest

The Grey Pied Flat - Coladenia laxmi sobrina
    Not 100% sure about the ID

The Malay Chestnut Bob - Iambrix stellifer
    Not sure about the ID

Arhopala sylhetensis Thanks Seow

The Great Zebra - Graphium xenocles Thanks Les

The Fourbar Swordtail - Graphium agetes agetes

The Malayan Zebra - Graphium delessertii delessertii
    Last edited by Angiud; 17-Mar-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Very nice. I must go onto the mainland to get another shot of the Malayan Zebra, mine are useless!

The other Zebra is a Great Zebra, the orange tornal spot is variable in size, and the Lesser Zebra does not have any.

The skippers are as you say.

I hope you had a more relaxing time in Krabi, with less driving.

Coladenia laxmi is right.
    Arhopala silhetensis. FW band dislocated at vein 4; Hw spot 6 & 7 sinious(wider than usual here.).
    Graphium mecareus. FW cell spots separate it from G. megarus.
    Correction; G. xenocles as Les had indicated.

TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 17-Mar-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: correction

Antonio, are you using a new camera?

the new pictures you're posting are markedly different from your usual and they are phenomenal. i love that 4 bar. the picture has an atmosphere that i can't quite put my finger on. anyway, gorgeous!

Yes, Minutemaid, actually the pictures look different, because I've using now a full frame camera, with also a wonderful control of noise at high ISO, the Canon 6D. Unfortunately I have to practice more, both to learn how to manage a FF sensor and how to use a camera with several different controls.

But after a few moments of concern, I start to use the camera with a bit more of confidence. I hope in the future the quality of my pictures will improve more.

Thank you!

Thank you, Les and Seow for the useful clarifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post
    Yes, Minutemaid, actually the pictures look different, because I've using now a full frame camera, with also a wonderful control of noise at high ISO, the Canon 6D. Unfortunately I have to practice more, both to learn how to manage a FF sensor and how to use a camera with several different controls.

But after a few moments of concern, I start to use the camera with a bit more of confidence. I hope in the future the quality of my pictures will improve more.

Thank you!
    Beautiful shots, Antonio. The color, high iso and low noise is a big plus for 6D. You are adapting well
    -Loke