Thread: Land of the Friendly People

Default Land of the Friendly People

I was at Bali last weekend for a short getaway to relax and chill out.
    Managed to squeeze some time out to shoot these butts around Ubud and Jimbaran.

Have been trying to find some books on butterflies of Bali to ID them but only managed to ID some of them from the net.
    Any assistance and correction is totally welcome and appreciated.

Miletus boisduvali

Jamides alecto

Leptotes plinius

Ideopsis (Radena) juventa juventa

Papilio peranthus

Melanitis leda

Last edited by bluefin; 02-Oct-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Default Glad you got a chance to rest!

Nice shots, Nelson. Glad you got to Bali to unwind. All that butterfly photography in Singapore must really wear a person out! William
    William B. Folsom

The first one could be Ideopsis (Radena) juventa juventa. I could not find anything else it could be.
    The Melanitis species must be M. leda which has a huge range, from Africa to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by WillFolsom View Post
    Nice shots, Nelson. Glad you got to Bali to unwind. All that butterfly photography in Singapore must really wear a person out! William
    Thanks William for the kind comments. I believe it is the pace of life in Singapore and work that wears a person out here rather than butterfly photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    The first one could be Ideopsis (Radena) juventa juventa. I could not find anything else it could be.
    The Melanitis species must be M. leda which has a huge range, from Africa to Australia.
    Thanks Les for assisting in the IDs.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

The Brownie should be M. boisduvali which replaces M. biggsii from Java eastwards and is common.

The Jamides have to be J. alecto. The white striae of the discal band on the forewing in space 1b & 2 are particularly broad & wider than the other striae.

I juventa is right. A coastal species, this might turn up at Pulau Tekong if it is accessible.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    The Brownie should be M. boisduvali which replaces M. biggsii from Java eastwards and is common.

The Jamides have to be J. alecto. The white striae of the discal band on the forewing in space 1b & 2 are particularly broad & wider than the other striae.

I juventa is right. A coastal species, this might turn up at Pulau Tekong if it is accessible.

TL Seow

Thanks Seow for assisting in the IDs.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Nice series Nelson!

Lovely shots, Nelson. The Papilio peranthus looks like a real beauty. Did you see many of these?

How was it in the Ubud area for butterflies? Many about? We have talked of visiting Ubud but never have ventured there yet.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Yamfly View Post
    Nice series Nelson!
    Thanks Ben for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch View Post
    Lovely shots, Nelson. The Papilio peranthus looks like a real beauty. Did you see many of these?

How was it in the Ubud area for butterflies? Many about? We have talked of visiting Ubud but never have ventured there yet.
    David, saw a few Papilio peranthus flying around at The Monkey Forest in Ubud. There is not much butty activity in Ubud as the area mostly consist of buildings and padi fields.
    But it is a good place to relax and if you are an avid fan of wood and stone carvings, this is the place to go.

I believe the Bali Barat National Park at the western tip of Bali will yield better results.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Probably will go there next year. Not butt trip but kid trip to a place called "Green School". Ahem.. while kids at school, I can go relaxing...

Nice shots there, Nelson.