Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who am I ??

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Pisuth got it wrong. The males are females, and this was listed in the 19 page errata he has provided.
    Thanks, Les. Let's hope his long-delayed 2nd Edition would have sorted out all these errors.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by benetay View Post
    That is interesting. Back to my favourite butt again. Sunny hope you don't mind me posting this.

Cheers!
    Wow! This is an exceptional shot. It looks like it is done in a studio.

TL Seow

Ah so the female semangas have 3 pairs of tails whereas the male only 2 pairs and both have similar coloured upperside. Thanks for the info!

For reference:

Cannot escape the eyes of Khew, and Benedict who has spent lots of time monitoring the species !

It is the Semanga superba deliciosa. The male has 2 pairs of tail whilst the female which is generally more colorful has an additional pair of tails at vein 4.

The specimen had missing tails , hence unable to differentiate from the shot whether it was a male or female.

Females are more often sighted than the male , it is very skittish and generally prefer the semi shaded areas in or adjacent to ripen Melastoma malabathricum . Best time for open wing shots is after a light drizzle and the sun comes through.

Male

Female

Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Had a peek of a pretty pristine specimen today with open wings for 1 sec before it decides to head up the canopy. Very skittish. I'm just wondering, if we have seen the female so many times, why can't once the female bring it's mate along down for a stroll so we can get a mating shot of this delicious. Let us complete the series and we will be very glad that happen!

Cheers!