Thread: Cigarita (Spindasis) lohita or seliga?

Default Cigaritis (Spindasis) lohita or seliga?

As is usual, when Seow puts up additional identification details, I check my existing photos. Thank you for these insights, Seow.

I have revisited my C. lohita photos, and, whilst I am happy with the vast majority, I have this one which is giving me doubts. It was taken on 24 January 2008, so I can not remember its size, but on checking my other photos for the day, I do know that it was taken on a hilltop, not as high as stated in C&P4 (we do not go that high here), but at c. 450m. I now think it may be C. seliga. Any chance of a confirmation?

Incidentally, does anyone know the history for the change of name for this genus from Spindasis? Has it been subdivided, or does Cigaritis have preference?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just checked the funet website and apparently Cigaritis has priority over Spindasis. Oh well, looks like i'll have to get used to this new name now:/
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    I just checked the funet website and apparently Cigaritis has priority over Spindasis. Oh well, looks like i'll have to get used to this new name now:/
    Right on Aaron. It will be appeared that they were divided into 2 genera in the past, but Yutaka combined them as one in which case Cigaritis is the older name.
    Note Yutaka also does not differentiate Chilasa from Papilio.

Without a doubt the butt in your pic is C. seliga, Les.

C. seliga : Forewing marginal pale line sullied or obscured (often); submarginal intervening pale area very narrow, narrower than the submarginal brown band.
    Twin short postdiscal bands forms a V (open in C. kutu)
    Hindwing submarginal brown band reaches the upper wing margin.

C. lohita: Forewing marginal pale line clear; submarginal pale area variable, but often broad.
    Hndwing submarginal brown band falls short of upper margin, but occasionally just touch it a little.

In the past I wrote some rubbish about the differences of these 2 based on the key of C&P4 & cocked-eyed observations, which confuses me later.
    I don't know if anyone understood that trash then.

TL Seow

Thank you Seow and Aaron. Now I have some renaming to do on my site!