Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Operation Ipoh - Day 1 (Gua Tempurung)

Sorry, I was away to Tioman for a short trip and return today.
    Unable to post any thing yet till I go through carefully the details of the discussions.

Teo T P
    Last edited by teotp; 16-Jun-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Hi guys,

Will solve out the id problem this Saturday. Thank you for your patience.

Teo T P

Missed out posting this Common Jay that was puddling together with the Red Helens...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    We're not here to prove who's right or wrong. Such discussions are good to have, as it presents different perspectives from different people, and we learn as a group.

I just wish that TeoTP and Steven Neo would jump in and discuss...
    Since the discussion between Steven, SK and myself on 18 Jun 2011 and I didn't see any reply from SK. The id of the butterfly is Appias albina based on the following reasons:

1. Forewing vien 9 is comparatively long and arising before the end of vien 10 - Appias. (See C&P 4 pages 82 and 89.)

2. The different of venations between Appias and Saletara (forewing vien 9 absent or very short, arising beyond the end of vien 10), please refer to "Butterflies of the South East Asian Islands, volume 2, pages 359 and 392.

I agreed with SK that we are not here to prove who's right or wrong. The most important thing is we learn and enjoy the discussion on forum.

Teo T P

Sorry Teo. Was too busy to process and post the shots that I took when I was at your place. Les is away at Maliau Basin so I thought I'd wait for him to get back.

But you're right in that we were debating over the secondary characteristics like colour, size and markings, which are very similar and variable at the same time between the Appias and Saletara. Hence our debate would have been inconclusive, just based on those characteristics.

You pointed us in the right direction by looking at the apical venation that separates the two genera, and we concluded beyond a doubt that all the shots of the species that we encountered at Gua Tempurung, are all of Appias. Hence it is most likely that A. albina is the identity of this species.

I will post shots of both the Appias and Saletara for comparison when I've processed the shots.

Once again, thanks for your guidance.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Once again, thanks for your guidance.
    Typing error SK, it should be "discussion" and not "guidance".

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by teotp View Post

I agreed with SK that we are not here to prove who's right or wrong. The most important thing is we learn and enjoy the discussion on forum.
    There is obviously a culture difference here. Where I come from, one looks forward to be proven right or wrong. This is a good thing and certainly not a point of oneupmanship. Sorry if it has different connotations in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    There is obviously a culture difference here. Where I come from, one looks forward to be proven right or wrong. This is a good thing and certainly not a point of oneupmanship. Sorry if it has different connotations in Asia.
    I certainly didn't realised the different of cultures between Europe and Asia, but stand at the scientific point of view, this is a good thing, Les.

Teo T P