Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First D100 Butterfly Shots

whoa Federick, congrats on acquiring your new toy!!!!!
    ~Ying Ling

congratz Federick!
    :bel:

Quote Originally Posted by Federick
    I was trying many shots on the flower using different apertures, but just could not get a clean background shot with sharp image.

Thanks guys for your advice and info. Yes, must definitely need a macro lens. But weight is again a major consideration as I like to trek (now cannot jog) and shoot at the same time. How about 105 mm macro lens with a tele-converter ?
    Get the sigma 105mm + 1.4 TC. Sgt Pepper had outstanding results when he was using it.
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    I'm not sure if you can call it an upgrade. The D100 is an all-metal DSLR compared with the D70's polycarbonate body. Hence the D100 can take a lot more abuse than the D70 can.

There are some features in the D100 that the D70 does not have, but these are mainly features which I seldom use. One added point is that the D70 does not have a dedicated grip which is quite essential for many photographers. But I'm not one of them. Simon and Jason swear by the vertical grip.
    I am another guy who doesn't care much abt vertical grip.

Btw, why the downgrade/upgrade to D70? I think the mirror lockup feature can be quite handy at times.
    Marcus

selecting lens is always need to concern the budget ... what is yours ?
    Feel free to visit my gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    I'm not sure if you can call it an upgrade. The D100 is an all-metal DSLR compared with the D70's polycarbonate body. Hence the D100 can take a lot more abuse than the D70 can.
    So it is a sidegrade then

I thought you are supposed to be in Penang by now

Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron
    I thought you are supposed to be in Penang by now
    Had to reshuffle some travelling plans due to this week's visit by some Clients, and my business trip to India some time soon - either next weekend or the end of the month, pending confirmation from the other side.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    I am another guy who doesn't care much abt vertical grip.

Btw, why the downgrade/upgrade to D70? I think the mirror lockup feature can be quite handy at times.
    Erm... which mirror lockup feature? The only one that I know of in the D70 is primarily for cleaning the CCD only. You mean can use that to shoot as well?
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot
    the focusing distance for the 90/100/105 is roughly 12cm? for a 1:1 shot, yes, you can crop down and you do not require faster shutter speed like the 180mm, weight is also easier on the user.. problem is getting close to the subject. Adding TC will lose sharpness and lose of 1 stop for 1.4x and 2 stops for 2x

but i still prefers the working distance of the 180mm, though heavier.. after a while, you wun notice it after mounting on a monopod

if budget aint a problem, go for a used 180mm
    After using the Sigma 105mm, I don't think distance is an issue for people who switched from Digicam to DSLR. The main difference btw 180mm and 100mm is the bokeh. The downside with 180mm is that you need to shoot at higher speed and the lens is 1 f stop less. This is not an issue if you use flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Federick
    Thanks guys for your advice and info. Yes, must definitely need a macro lens. But weight is again a major consideration as I like to trek (now cannot jog) and shoot at the same time. How about 105 mm macro lens with a tele-converter ?
    If you are going trekking, then DLSR is not the right cam to bring. It is too bulky and heavy after you add in the 105mm and flash. Suggest you bring your Minolta when you go trekking and DSLR and you go shooting !

Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron
    After using the Sigma 105mm, I don't think distance is an issue for people who switched from Digicam to DSLR. The main difference btw 180mm and 100mm is the bokeh. The downside with 180mm is that you need to shoot at higher speed and the lens is 1 f stop less. This is not an issue if you use flash.

If you are going trekking, then DLSR is not the right cam to bring. It is too bulky and heavy after you add in the 105mm and flash. Suggest you bring your Minolta when you go trekking and DSLR and you go shooting !
    actually, the 1 stop less should not be a concern since 'we' shoot at f8 or higher