Thread: 800mm trial

Default 800mm trial

ok, actually its 100-400mm + 2x III. MF used. trying them on some tree top butterflies at my workplace

slate flash?

some dart?
    I Wander how, I Wander why...

my flickr

Looks promising. It is pretty hard to get the tree top species.

Something that I have wondered about is digi-scoping. Are you aware of this technique? Birders use it all the time and I think that "father" of digi-scoping was Lawrence Poh in Malaysia (he sadly passed away a few years ago). They use high-quality scopes with a specially crafted device that allows a digital camera to be attached. The cameras are usually high-end point and shoots where there is no external movement of the lens for focusing. The photos from these are very nice and about the only method for collecting good shots of many canopy species.
    David Fischer
    Wollongong, Australia

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moloch05/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by moloch View Post
    Looks promising. It is pretty hard to get the tree top species.

Something that I have wondered about is digi-scoping. Are you aware of this technique? Birders use it all the time and I think that "father" of digi-scoping was Lawrence Poh in Malaysia (he sadly passed away a few years ago). They use high-quality scopes with a specially crafted device that allows a digital camera to be attached. The cameras are usually high-end point and shoots where there is no external movement of the lens for focusing. The photos from these are very nice and about the only method for collecting good shots of many canopy species.

I believe it will be similar to astronomy photography where a camera is attached to a telescope. A difficulty I had for using the 100-400 + 2x III is having too narrow a FOV for butts. Birds might be easier. I believe digi-scoping will have a similar problem...but worth exploring.

my flickr

bird and non tree top stuff:

my flickr

wow, how is this done?
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    wow, how is this done?
    hows what done?

my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by entertainer View Post
    hows what done?
    Or maybe i shld say what did u do to get those shots from the tree tops? What modifications did u make?
    Aaron Soh

Oh. Well I attached a teleconverter to the butt of my longest lens (100-400, min focus distance 1.8m) thus increasing the focal length of the lens to 200-800 (losing auto focus, as it becomes a f8-11lens... While retaining the min focus distance of 1.8m, effectively doubling the magnification factor) And I am in a school.. Tables and chairs are handy.. :p

my flickr