Thread: Recent Skipper Shots

Hybrid View

Default Recent Skipper Shots

Three shots here are of the same specimen that I shot on 13 Nov at NSPL. The size of a typical Telicota species but I am not able to id it with sufficient confidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Telicota besta bina male

Of the 3 Singapore spp, the male of T. colon is readily IDd by the extended orange vein streaks. T. augias male have the underside deep-shaded rendering the spots undiscernable; also the black area is smaller and narrower.

TL Seow

Default A correction

Having made a close study of the undersides of the males of the 3 Singaporean species, I will like to make a retraction of my previous statement. This is T augias male.
    In T. augias male the overlap between spot 4&5 and Spot3 below is half or more whereas in the other two it is much less or hardly. Additionally T. colon may have the vein-streak of spot 3 visible.
    I did notice a number of errors with the pics in the checklist of all 3 species.

TL Seow

Thanks for the id, Mr Seow.

Default A Dark Brown Skipper

Shot this along a forest fringe before UPR - a Caltoris sp ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Salient features : 3 subapical (or subcostal) spots ; 2 cell spots ; spots in space 3 & 4 quadrate. Hindwing unmarked dark brown with a purplish tone.

The Pelopidas group of genera are extremely similar and difficult to ID. However the other local (Singapore) species have either less spotting, hindwing with spots , marks or shades of other colour.

This leaves the female of Caltoris cormasa as a good match. I am guessing it is this species. It is also appears to be rather common. Perhaps someone who have been taking regular pictures of these little brownies have a better insight and can comment on it.

TL Seow