Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arhopala Collection for ID

Thanks, TK. Looks like more attention has to be paid to these little 'brown jobs'. I'll send pics of some specimens that I did not have any confidence in ID'ing to you. All were captured during the 1997-2003 period in our nature reserves during the NParks surveys.

I had a specimen that I'd tentatively ID'ed as A. wildeyana - a very small specimen that corresponds to what Ben Jin found. It may be a better one for you to examine especially when there are uppersides to see.

Maybe we shall wait till 2011, and push the checklist past the 300 mark.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Arhopala agrata male
    Hindwing postdiscal spot 7 directly on top spot of spot 6, and a lobed tornal spot may indicate the cleander group. However, there is no spot in space 10 ie just above the cellend bar. Also there appear to be a long blackish line that runs from the inner margin of the tornus across the upper margin of the green scaling. See C&P4 41/25. Topside indicates male.
    I have realised that the tornal pattern is not unique and cannot be used for absolute identification. Thankfully, this one is readily IDed following C&P4's keys i.e. key 1, 7, 8, 95, 96, 100, 120, 124, 125 and thus A. agrata.
    Seow, thanks a lot - your detailed explanations give all of us here a lot more insights into identifying the species.
    Wow, it definitely gives me a great motivation to venture into the CCA again.
    A big thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Thanks, TK. Looks like more attention has to be paid to these little 'brown jobs'. I'll send pics of some specimens that I did not have any confidence in ID'ing to you. All were captured during the 1997-2003 period in our nature reserves during the NParks surveys.

I had a specimen that I'd tentatively ID'ed as A. wildeyana - a very small specimen that corresponds to what Ben Jin found. It may be a better one for you to examine especially when there are uppersides to see.

Maybe we shall wait till 2011, and push the checklist past the 300 mark.
    It will be interesting to see other examples of A. wildeyana. Although A. wildeyana is so distinctive in its large rounded spots, the pics in C&P4 did not strike a chord as they looked quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock Royal View Post
    Seow, thanks a lot - your detailed explanations give all of us here a lot more insights into identifying the species.
    Wow, it definitely gives me a great motivation to venture into the CCA again.
    A big thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    This is belated..
    ..but you are welcome. All I can say is that a good photo is half the battle won. And Good Hunting.

TL Seow

Here's a shot for Seow to confirm. Should be distinctive enough for an ID? Shot in Pulau Langkawi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK

This one shot in Singapore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK

Here's a shot for Seow to confirm. Should be distinctive enough for an ID? Shot in Pulau Langkawi.
    Arhopala ijanensis female

Female ( Abdominal tip tapers to a point)
    Keys 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Arhopala ijanensis female

Female ( Abdominal tip tapers to a point)
    Keys 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17.

TL Seow

Thanks for the quick ID. Yes, this is a female. We shot it whilst it was trying to oviposit.
    Khew SK

This one shot in Singapore.
    Arhopala major major male

Male (abdominal tip truncated)
    Keys 1, 7, 8, 9, 23, (skip 24) 45, 55, 59, 63, 71, 72, skip 73 (borneo spp), 74, 75(A amphimuta) or 76 (A major).
    In A amphimuta the two outer spots in space 7 and spot 6 are usually roughly the same size. InA. major the middle(discal) spot in space 7 is about 2/3 or less that of spot 6. However, some amphimuta may overlaps that of major in that the middle spot in space 7 is variable in size and may be relatively small.
    The icing on the cake is that the upperside of this male shows the broad brown border of A. major.
    This is an excellent pic of A. major to keep for reference.

After going thru old archive shot during the year, manage to dig out quite a few "brown" ones. Most of these are taken in Central Catchment area. Would like to seek some help from our Arhopala expert to ID these. Apologies for the numerous images.

A1 [ NSPL ]

A2 [ NSPL ]

A3 [ KB ]

A4 [ KB ]

A5 [ USR ]
    Last edited by bluefin; 23-Dec-2010 at 09:53 PM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -