PDA

View Full Version : Who's baby is this?

Blue Nawab
25-Dec-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi,
Just came across this caterpillar but not sure what kind of butterfly will it turn out to be...anyone? Thanks and Merry Christmas to All! :cheers:

Great Mormon
27-Dec-2008, 01:46 AM
is it one of those eggfly cats??

can always check the checklist :P

Blue Nawab
27-Dec-2008, 04:21 PM
is it one of those eggfly cats??

can always check the checklist :P

Thanks Anthony for the suggestion, really have no idea what it will turn out to be. I have seen the great eggfly cats, but I think this is a different host plant and looks prettier than the eggfly cats. The interesting part is it started spinning its "Thread" and now sleeps :lazy2: on it nicely in its pupa stage. Will keep watch and wait. Thanks. :)

Commander
27-Dec-2008, 07:13 PM
Only moths spin cocoons like that. Definitely not Eggfly cat. ;P (Someone didn't check the checklist himself!)

Most likely a moth cat.

Blue Nawab
27-Dec-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks Khew for the clarifications. On first look, it resembles that of the butt cat. When it started to spin threads, I was not really hopefully for a butt. Request to shift this thread to the Moth Section then..thanks.

Blue Nawab
03-Jan-2009, 10:52 PM
Only moths spin cocoons like that. Definitely not Eggfly cat. ;P (Someone didn't check the checklist himself!)

Most likely a moth cat.

Here's the Moth that has emerged. No idea what's its name (Yellow Tiger Moth?):embrass: , perhaps Roger could help...Thanks Khew for giving clues to it, otherwise still guessing hard what sort of butt this is...got this from Pulau Ubin, on return recently saw some of the host plants infested with these caterpillars. :cheers:

hkmoths
08-Jan-2009, 02:18 PM
looks like Argina astrea
Noctuidae, Arctiinae, Arctiini

cheers,

Roger.

Blue Nawab
08-Jan-2009, 09:02 PM
looks like Argina astrea
Noctuidae, Arctiinae, Arctiini

cheers,

Roger.

Thanks Roger (The Moth Professor) for identifying the specie of the moth.
The one I gotten happens to be a female. :cheers:
Manage to check up the specie on other site and it provided some more info about this Moth (also known as tiger Moth) and its caterpillar's picture.
http://gvcocks.homeip.net/Lepidoptera/Arctiidae/agrina%20astrea.htm