PDA

View Full Version : Where in AH to find Iraota rochana boswelliana?

The Monarch
15-Sep-2004, 12:00 PM
I've been looking for Iraota rochana boswelliana, but never run into it before.

Maybe going down tomorrow, so any of you who have shot it before know where it 'hangs out' in the garden? Common or rare sight?

Also for those who have been there recently, what butts are in season now?

Thanks. :-)

Elbowed Pierrot
15-Sep-2004, 12:16 PM
best place like CP mentioned is the rows of plants along the steps

seen it quite frequently, even on my last visit there last week :bsmile:

The Monarch
15-Sep-2004, 12:18 PM
Ic. Thanks guys.

Really hope to shoot this bugger. I like it's wings. Must keep my un-sharp eyes open for it. Roughly its the size of...?

Commander
15-Sep-2004, 12:20 PM
best place like CP mentioned is the rows of plants along the steps

seen it quite frequently, even on my last visit there last week :bsmile:

That's cos those bushes there are the butt's host plant... and that's why most of us have shot the females only. Upperside a boring grey-brown. The males have quite spectacular uppersides - iridescent blue sheen.

The same plant can also be found opp to where the Cycad Palms are. If the females land there, easier to shoot, and you don't have to contend with passersby walking along the steps and interrupting your shoot - especially on a weekday.

We first saw a number of this species at Telok Blangah Hills Park along the path leading up to the hilltop where there's a pavilion. The path is lined on one side with this host plant.

Elbowed Pierrot
15-Sep-2004, 12:21 PM
Ic. Thanks guys.

Really hope to shoot this bugger. I like it's wings. Must keep my un-sharp eyes open for it. Roughly its the size of...?

roughly the size of a rapala, I also spotted 'it' near the entrance to the trail.. once, I saw 'it' basking on the grass

CP, b'fly fairy moved to SF :bsmile:

The Monarch
15-Sep-2004, 12:28 PM
The same plant can also be found opp to where the Cycad Palms are. If the females land there, easier to shoot, and you don't have to contend with passersby walking along the steps and interrupting your shoot - especially on a weekday.

Where are the Cycad Palms?

Ok target for tomm (IF I can make it) is a mating pair of Iraota rochana boswelliana. Heh heh.... :bsmile:

Commander
15-Sep-2004, 12:30 PM
Where are the Cycad Palms?

Ok target for tomm (IF I can make it) is a mating pair of Iraota rochana boswelliana. Heh heh.... :bsmile:

Like what Simon pointed out, near the entrance to the trail lor... where there are Cycad Palms, and Bird's Nest Ferns on the ground.

Recognise the host plant along the sides of the steps, and look for it nearby. ;P

The Monarch
15-Sep-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, thanks.

Common Rose
15-Sep-2004, 11:04 PM
What suddenly want to find this species?