PDA

View Full Version : Same species or different..

Blue Nawab
18-Apr-2008, 11:16 AM
Found Two different looking caterpillars, not sure if it belongs to the butterfly or moth..or others.. What is the name of the species? Anyone have any ideas? Waiting to learn from anyone...
Thanks.

Painted Jezebel
18-Apr-2008, 11:25 AM
They are definitely Hawkmoth cats, but further than that, I can not go!

Commander
18-Apr-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with Les. These are more likely moth cats.

I've moved this to the Moth forum. Perhaps Roger can offer some advice.

hkmoths
19-Apr-2008, 03:11 PM
Les is correct - larvae of Sphingidae. The "tail" (known as a "caudal horn") is diagnostic for this family.

The second one looks like a species of Eupanacra.

cheers, Roger.

Blue Nawab
19-Apr-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Les, Khew and Roger for the clues to the Moth Cats. Apparently both belong to the same species of Hawk Moth Cat I think but different stages or instar you call it in Butterfly Cat. In fact, the plants in my area are infected with these caterpillars and they can grow to quite a large size, not sure is that the trend in Moth Cat.? They are big eaters just like the Oleander Hawk Moth Cat. Wonder if anyone has a picture of the Hawk Moth that emerged from these species of Caterpillar. What should I do to them, save the plants or not? Offer the caterpillars to the birds?
Thanks, really learning a lot from you all..
Cheers,
Cher Hern

hkmoths
20-Apr-2008, 01:49 PM
..... What should I do to them, save the plants or not? Offer the caterpillars to the birds?.....

That depends on what your priorities are.
If you're curious, then keep a couple of the larvae to see what they emerge as after pupation (they will likely pupate soon, and readily pupate in a tupperware box with some tissue paper lining or a thin layer of sandy soil). Post a photo of the adult moth so that the i.d. can be confirmed.
If the plants are precious, then remove the larvae by hand and dispose of elsewhere on Alocasia or Colocasia plants. Wild taro will likely be accepted as well.

cheers, Roger.

Blue Nawab
21-Apr-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the sharing, will set up a few layers of tissues and see what comes out of it..keep everyone posted of what moth that will be..
Regards,
Cher Hern

Blue Nawab
21-Apr-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the contributions by the experts, meantime just waiting for the outcome to see what comes out from the caterpillar. While waiting, here are two pictures, one that shows the head patterns of the Hawk Moth Cat and another, one that is going through the Chrysalis stage I think..

Painted Jezebel
21-Apr-2008, 08:26 PM
I am really looking forward to the eclosion. Although I am a butt freak, I do have a soft spot for the Hawkmoths.

hkmoths
23-Apr-2008, 02:45 PM
looking good so far.
try not to let the pupa get too dry (a light spray mist every few days is good if you keep the pupa indoors).

cheers, Roger.

Blue Nawab
07-May-2008, 07:36 PM
The Hawk is finally here. The Hawk Moth, the transformation of the scary serpent looking caterpillar, dark brownish, resembles that of a hawk. Does it have any ID?
Thanks.

hkmoths
07-May-2008, 11:16 PM
a darkish form of Eupanacra mydon, so far as I can tell.

cheers, Roger.

Blue Nawab
08-May-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks Roger for the ID, with that, I managed to find on another website, a similar kind that was found in Hong Kong. As Roger mentioned, this is the Allocasius Sphinx Moth
(Sphingidae Macroglossinae Eupanacra mydon - Walker, 1856).
The website I found was
http://www.ccs-hk.org/DM/butterfly/Sphingid/Eupanacra-mydon.html
Thank you.